Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-04-2020, 03:36 AM   #1
OHpiper
Forum Member

Default Selbie inverted bass

Greetings all, seems I have a real finicky one. After looking at past threads that's the conclusion I have come to. The Peter Henderson's I bought last Oct. came with these reeds in them, had trouble from the start with the bass reed double toning. After checking everything multiple times it would work great for awhile, just enough to earn my trust, then it would double tone again. I fixed it finally, removed it and replaced it with a Canning carbon tongue bass.. it seems to work well with the Selbie tenors..
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-04-2020, 05:10 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Selbie inverted bass

[QUOTE=OHpiper

After checking everything multiple times it would work great for awhile, just enough to earn my trust, then it would double tone again.

[/QUOTE]

Selbie’s are v g reeds. I’ve noted here prior that I’ve set up multi dozens of sets in band and individual pipes..solid.
Only once did a student have a quizzical issue I couldn’t figure out....until I found that at the top of the H cut out on the tongue the blade was snapped cleanly across where it fitted into the body. Needless to say...very air inefficient, double toning,... yada. A new set of tongues for $12 was the ‘as- new’ fix.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:36 AM   #3
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

I got Selbies last year on the recommendation of owner of Tartantown. They produced a marvelous clear sound, but for a while I had a soft high pitched squeal from the tenors on the cut-off no matter what adjustments I made even if the bag was only half full. Finally I put a dab of nail polish on the ends of the tongues. Problem solved.

Sorry - off topic.

Last edited by Greenpipe; 05-04-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:43 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post
I got Selbies last year on the recommendation of owner of Tartantown. They produced a marvelous clear sound, but for a while I had a soft high pitched squeal from the tenors on the cut-off no matter what adjustments I made even if the bag was only half full. Finally I put a dab of nail polish on the ends of the tongues. Problem solved.

Sorry - off topic.
..👍..a good fix. I use a little bb of blu-tak. Easy to see, reposition, reduce,increase...
Old 05-04-2020, 06:17 AM   #5
OHpiper
Forum Member

[QUOTE=el gaitero;
Only once did a student have a quizzical issue I couldn’t figure out....until I found that at the top of the H cut out on the tongue the blade was snapped cleanly across where it fitted into the body. Needless to say...very air inefficient, double toning,... yada. A new set of tongues for $12 was the ‘as- new’ fix.[/QUOTE]

Last week I tried something different and removed the tongue and found fuzzies, dust or whatever in the reed opening, cleaned it out and I thought it cured the problem but next day it would start in again. But I may order a new set of tongues anyway... good suggestion!
Old 05-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post

. But I may order a new set of tongues anyway... good suggestion!
While you’ve e got them all apart take a few min to wash them up with warm soapy water in/out...let the bodies dry over night. If several years old with a lot of playing time ..it might be a good time to get some new bridles. I was lucky a few years ago to get a few sets of OEM replacements for the band.
If switching to O rings...might be wise to use 2 rings to sort of replicate the flat band bridle. They need to be pretty snug,..like ~one step down from the body diameter.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
OHpiper
Forum Member

el gaitero, thanks for the advice...
Old 05-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post
Last week I tried something different and removed the tongue and found fuzzies, dust or whatever in the reed opening, cleaned it out and I thought it cured the problem but next day it would start in again. But I may order a new set of tongues anyway... good suggestion!
I ordered new tongues for my Selbies and it didn't make much of a difference but it was nice to know they were all in like new condition (old tongues were years and years old). I like the Selbie sound a lot and I hold onto a set, but for me they are not very air efficient.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
I ordered new tongues for my Selbies and it didn't make much of a difference but it was nice to know they were all in like new condition (old tongues were years and years old). I like the Selbie sound a lot and I hold onto a set, but for me they are not very air efficient.
Curious,... how high is the back of the bridle above the H notch?

For McCallum pipes I find a fat 1/8” distance has the tenors tuning at ~ 1/8” above the hemp. The reeds are set in to ~1/16” from the wood.

The reeds will shut off with a moderate sharp arm hump. The players all have ~28/29” chanter reeds.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
OHpiper
Forum Member

Default Re: Selbie inverted bass ; update

I feel like a goof, played them this morning with the Canning bass and a couple times they struck in ok. THEN it happened again, and again. At this point I was ready to scream,, what the "h". So somethings amiss, looking at the bass drone itself now, I found the mid section is little loose on the lower pin. And you guessed it, added a little hemp and it seemed to have cured the problem, even put the Selbie reed back in it and played fine, now I can't fault the reed ...