Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 AM   #1
Piping Potential
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Best drone reeds for 1990's Kintail

For those owning 1990's Kintails, what synthetic drone reed do you find works the best and delivers the best sound?

In the late 90's I started piping with a set of Kintails and used cane reeds with no problems. I drifted in and out of piping since, but have recently gotten serious about it again, but the Ezeedrone reeds ain't so ezee. The middle tenor likes to double tone. I've switched the reeds around and there are no obvious cracks or other issues. I'm a steady blower. I've read other posts with others having the same problem. Is there a defect with the instrument or just my ability to set these reeds properly?

I prefer something stable, air-efficient, and that has a nice full sound without sounding like a buzz saw.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-18-2018, 03:47 AM   #2
teuchter46
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Best drone reeds for 1990's Kintail

I set some Kintails up for a learner recently with Selbie reeds. I cut the rubber off the ends and replaced with a thin layer of waxed hemp to ensure a good fit in the reed seats. Very nice tone, resonant without too much buzz.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=Piping Potential;1329303

the Ezeedrone reeds ain't so ezee. The middle tenor likes to double tone.

.[/QUOTE]

I’d wager the errant EZ reed needs a fly’s hair more bridle adjustment to maximize efficiency...possibly coupled with an analysis of maintaining steady air pressure while playing. If the drone itself is defective in some way it seems unlikely any reed will perform as needed. It might be as simple as an improperly reamed reed seat.

Selbie reeds would also get my own high marks alternative vote. I’ve set up many dozens of Selbie sets for bands and students with no issues .

MG Carbon reeds are also at the top of my list for excellent tone ...equal to other ‘big name’ reeds....and with plug’nplay ability.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

I've found that Canning is a very good set of reeds, as are the new Gibson reeds. I find both to be quite easy to get going well, and both produce a full, smooth tone.

I do wonder, however, if your Ezees could not be made to go well. The micro-adjustments necessary to get them going well can come with a learning curve, but no drone reeds will work properly unless accurately calibrated. Ezees just give you more clues as to whether or not they are in such a state.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #5
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I’d wager the errant EZ reed needs a fly’s hair more bridle adjustment to maximize efficiency...possibly coupled with an analysis of maintaining steady air pressure while playing. If the drone itself is defective in some way it seems unlikely any reed will perform as needed. It might be as simple as an improperly reamed reed seat.
Yes, I had a set of late 90's Kintails going well with a Henderson cane bass and Ezee tenors a couple years back. A Henderson Harmonic bass also worked well.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings Piping Potential, and to All,

Always happy to see new members (Welcome!! :) and
to see them jump into... the Forum chat... :)

For what ever this may be worth...

I've a set of '88 Kintail... stripped ebony... Chalice Tops...
and have since their advent... used the Kinnaird Originals
in them...as I now have... and for equal time... with all of
my other sets.

And... quite happily... no problems... or second-guessing... :)

Subsequently... I now have... much more... free time... :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 07-18-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Douglas Gordon
Forum Member

Hi all,
I've a set of Kintail's ( Cocus wood) I don't know how old (they're plain-chalice)
imitation Ivory w/plain chanter(no sole).
They sound very mellow reeded with Canning's.

Doug G
Douglas Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
Piping Potential
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks Pip01 for the warm welcome and to everyone for your suggestions. I may try a set of Selbies just for fun. My only reservation with them is that I've heard they have a tendency to howl when you stop playing.

Can the drone reeds affect each other? When I get the middle tenor in tune that's usually when it will then double tone and be out of tune. Then when I retune it then it goes the other way. Weird. Anyway I will work with the Ezees a bit more before I throw in the towel with them.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

‘Howling’ ( trailing) after the end of a tune is simply a bad stop. Operator error..
Perfect practice makes perfect. Just like good solid starts.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #10
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

You're correct about the Ezees..it could just be that you have a bad reed..happened to me and no amount of adjustment could settle it...try swapping the tenor reeds in each drone...and check for a micro crack in the drone..happened in my 83 Kintails.