Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Bass Sections
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bass Sections Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
3D Piper
Forum Clasp

Default Judging flourishing routines in band competitions

I love the flourishing routines the midsection brings to a band performance.
How can we start adding a judge for that?
Currently, the midsection is only judged on their rhythm.

-Matthew
3D Piper is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Pete Walen
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Judging flourishing routines in band competitions

PPBSO had a Bass & Tenor Section judge for a short time, experimental IIRC. That was starting up about 10 or 12 years ago. It did not really go far, and was scrapped a few years later.

I've seen a few ensemble judges comment, but very, very rarely. I'm not sure about the idea of a "visual effects" judge. But, that's just me.
Pete Walen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Famous Amos
Forum Silver Medal

We have often gotten comments on the visual contributions of the tenor corps, but agree that for the amount of work they put in, there is little tangible evidence of the impact.

I've always felt that the tenor corps is critical for conveying the professionalism and poise of a group, primarily because they are the most interesting thing to watch. The level of confidence they transmit can either reinforce or detract from the overall impact of the group.

The visual aspect is one of those things that certainly plays into how much a judge likes a group, but is tough to really capture in a score sheet.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
3D Piper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
I've always felt that the tenor corps is critical for conveying the professionalism and poise of a group, primarily because they are the most interesting thing to watch. The level of confidence they transmit can either reinforce or detract from the overall impact of the group.
I completely agree!

Lazy tenor routines make the whole band seem blah..

But crisp energetic routines with big arm movements and quick flourishes give lift and energy where needed and really accent the melody..

Some of my own tenors may compete with a band at Stone Mountain, and we were a bit confused at the tenor scores when there were no flourishes written in.. Now we know why..

-Matthew
3D Piper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Margaret
Forum Clasp

A little late to the party here - It may be because all sections of the band are scored on the auditory aspect, not the visual.

If you look at the transition the tenor position has taken in the last, say, 45 years - from it being visual only when I was little - remember the crocheted tassels on the mallets, and they breezed over the drum head, hardly touching it at all? To rhythm only in the 80's, no flourishing at all - and now to the very technical flourishing and scores with voiced drums.

The tenor section has really seen a big transition, (bass also, but not as dramatic). I can remember when the midsection was rarely mentioned at all by many drumming and ensemble judges, so a big change has occurred (to the positive) in that aspect as well.

Just a thought.

Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last edited by Margaret; 08-13-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote