Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Pipers' Gathering in Litchfield, CT

.. so who's going?http://www.pipersgathering.org
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

Default Re: Pipers' Gathering in Litchfield, CT

Eight of us from the Syracuse & Rochester smallpipe groups will be there.
We are hoping to play at the open mic/play circle Friday night and a possible informal pop-up performance somewhere onsite.
Let us all make a sacrifice to the weather gods for cool dry weather
Old 08-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
razzmaster
Forum Member

What does Saturday night post concert and Sunday look like? I'll be coming from another event but would be interested in sessions/informal tunes. Is there much of that going on usually? Are things like that open to folks who are just going to the concerts, not signed up for classes? Would I be able to visit the vendors tables?

Much thanks!
razzmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

The vendor tables are open to all at intermission and after the concert both days.
Sessions are formed after the concerts, but i'm not sure if those not registered or walk-ins are allowed. The open mic. is for those registered only.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
TCulbert
Forum Regular

I will be there, coming from Central PA. First-timer, looking forward to finally experiencing "The Gathering".

http://www.nittanypipeband.org
TCulbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
Bob Gerard
Forum Regular

Wish I could go; it was a great experience last year. I just have too many irons in the fire now.
Bob Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

It was a great weekend. I'm looking forward to pictures and videos on the website.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

Yes, it was a great Gathering and I have heard from a number of people that it was one of our best! Unfortunately though, we have lost two of our board members who have been burned out by the overload of work and commitment required to put this assembly together. (my wife manned the reception desk and she know's how much work is involved) On Friday night after dinner a meeting was held and many of those in attendance presented their ideas and suggestions. The ideas ranged between moving the Gathering elsewhere, advertising nationally, attracting younger pipers and so on. Some ideas were well received and others were met with low grumbling (moving the Gathering out West). One said, "I'm not going"
I'm visualizing a funnel where all these idea's are flowing into the large end and are traveling slowly towards the small end. Unfortunately though, if their is no one at the small end to sort out the good idea's from the bad, we are out of business.
If I was a younger man with spare time I might consider the position, but I like being retired, I'm happy, I need nothing more. If the Gathering is able to continue Mary and I will continue to volunteer. (we did the room check after you all left Monday and no one left us a tip!!)
My two cents....
1. How much does an event planner charge?
2. Everyone seemed to enjoy gathering at Wisdom House,(great food) why move?
3. To reduce costs perhaps hire fewer overseas performers.
4. Expand open mic. night (we have some talented pipers of our own)
5. Can we use this forum as a communication center to stay in touch with each other instead of creating our own?
6. A penny for your thoughts!
Happy Trails....
Old 08-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSchlie View Post
Yes, it was a great Gathering and I have heard from a number of people that it was one of our best! Unfortunately though, we have lost two of our board members who have been burned out by the overload of work and commitment required to put this assembly together. (my wife manned the reception desk and she know's how much work is involved) On Friday night after dinner a meeting was held and many of those in attendance presented their ideas and suggestions. The ideas ranged between moving the Gathering elsewhere, advertising nationally, attracting younger pipers and so on. Some ideas were well received and others were met with low grumbling (moving the Gathering out West). One said, "I'm not going"
I'm visualizing a funnel where all these idea's are flowing into the large end and are traveling slowly towards the small end. Unfortunately though, if their is no one at the small end to sort out the good idea's from the bad, we are out of business.
If I was a younger man with spare time I might consider the position, but I like being retired, I'm happy, I need nothing more. If the Gathering is able to continue Mary and I will continue to volunteer. (we did the room check after you all left Monday and no one left us a tip!!)
My two cents....
2. Everyone seemed to enjoy gathering at Wisdom House,(great food) why move? .
On the plus side, everything is in one place, the food is good and nutritious, if a bit monotonous for some, and teh setting is beautiful. On the minus side, there's nothing for non-piping family to do nearby.
Quote:
Maybe, but for some of us, it's the biggest draw- not for all, maybe, I realize.
[QUOTE=RonSchlie;1317728]
I can't believe I missed it this year!
Quote:
5. Can we use this forum as a communication center to stay in touch with each other instead of creating our own?
Sound like a plan.
Happy Trails....
Old 08-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Tjones79
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSchlie
My two cents....
2. Everyone seemed to enjoy gathering at Wisdom House,(great food) why move? .

On the plus side, everything is in one place, the food is good and nutritious, if a bit monotonous for some, and teh setting is beautiful. On the minus side, there's nothing for non-piping family to do nearby. Quote:

Maybe, but for some of us, it's the biggest draw- not for all, maybe, I realize.
I can't believe I missed it this year!
Quote:

Sound like a plan.
Happy Trails....

I Attended the pipers gathering in 2015. I live in Portland Oregon, and the biggest reason for me attending was being able to meet Julian, Callum, Matt and the other performers that came from overseas. That the gathering is held on the east coast is not necessarily a drawback, it makes it easier for anyone from europe to come. Also, there are more vendors and stronger small pipe tradition, I think, on the east rather than on the west coast. For me, it was kinda a bucket list type thing.

It was a very expensive weekend for me though, and had the gathering been held over a longer period, it would have been easier to justify, and maybe return another year. It would have been nice to have had more time to spend focused on piping with some of the worlds best.

Several of the other similar events, like Chris Norman’s Boxwood festival in Nova Scotia, are about a week. Although Boxwood focuses mainly on the flute, they have opened it up to other instruments and venues, and brought in other top teachers.

The year I attend the gathering, fiddle workshops were offer, and this year it looks like bouzouki. But it felt like these are more of an afterthought than anything else. I had hope to join a session in the evening with some of the fiddlers, but couldn’t find a one. The one session I did find, was a group of uillieann pipers who weren’t very friendly, and I got up and left and found someone else to play with.

I liked Wisdom House, it was fine, but it felt a little isolated. The only thing for me that was bothersome, was flying into Hartford and then having to rent a car and drive an hour to get to it. Thank God for GPS! Because of my long flight and drive, I came in a day earlier, and Morgan had arranged for me to spend the night at WH, which was fun, I played a bit with Ciro Lo Pinto, and Chris Pinchbeck. Morgan is Great!

I hope that the Pipers Gathering will find a way to continue and broaden it’s scope. It’s truly a unique event and overall quite enjoyable.

Last edited by Tjones79; 08-26-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Tjones79 is offline   Reply With Quote