Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Default Canadian Schottische?

Yes, odd tittle but it comes from and odd source.

Several of the gentlemen I practice with have asked about finding a tune they call "Canadian Schottische" I tried searching a few sources and asking a couple of other individuals, alas to no satisfaction.

They said they had the tune on paper prior to Katrina visiting the Gulf coast and making a complete wash of things.

And with that stated, I'll ask. Has anyone heard of such a tune, and if you have, could you point me in the proper area to find it.

Danke Schon.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
JP Cahill
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Canadian Schottische?

There's a nice little 4 part march in the Royal Scots book called "Canadian Scottish". Possibly what they're looking for? It's essentially variations on "The Maple Leaf Forever".
JP Cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
Kevin
Forum Clasp

It sounds like a type of tune used for a country dance rather than the name of a particular example of that type of tune. Maybe no help but food for thought. Can any of them hum a few bars?

Best regards,
Kevin

P.S. there is an archived discussion of suitable tunes for a "Canadian barn dance" over at thesession.org

Last edited by Kevin; 05-07-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Thank you both for the info. I'll give that info to the guys who are seeking to replace what they lost.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q View Post
Thank you both for the info. I'll give that info to the guys who are seeking to replace what they lost.
IIRC, the 'Canadian Barn Dance'
is a Schottische (a type of dance).

[edit]
Well, there I go off half-cocked;
apparently there are many tunes
played for this type of dance. My
recollection was that it was the
name of a tune. Oops.

Last edited by LloydB; 05-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.
LloydB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

In Archie Cairns' Pipe Music - Book 2, there is a tune Archie said he heard some years earlier and jotted down from memory. For the purposes of publication, he gave it the title "Highland Schottische". Might this be the "Canadian Schottische"?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:16 AM   #7
Adam Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianpiper View Post
In Archie Cairns' Pipe Music - Book 2, there is a tune Archie said he heard some years earlier and jotted down from memory. For the purposes of publication, he gave it the title "Highland Schottische". Might this be the "Canadian Schottische"?
There's a great many tunes go under the "Highland Schottische" title, it all goes back to when Queen Victoria took over Balmoral, evicted the residents, and started reinventing Highland culture. She may well deserve some credit for creating the world's first theme park with what she did to the Highlands.
Victoria was of German parents, her husband Albert was German, and the "Schottische" was a form of polka that came from the Bavarian region of Germany.

Like the architecture of Balmoral, the "Schottische" is German in origin. Variants of it can also be found wherever large groups of Germans settled, Argentina=schottische, Brazil=xoutiça, Mexico=Chotís, etc.

It's simply a Germanic polka that has modified as it has travelled. I'm sure it has been performed in Canada, so why not a "Canadian Schottische"?

I've heard tunes like "Brochan Lom" , "Roes Among the Heather", "Orange and Blue", etc, named as "Highland Schottische", and seen plenty examples of this on CD covers, etc.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I used to play in German bands, and played a lot of "Schottishes" along with Polkas, Waltzes and Ländlers. It's interesting that Polkas are generally written in 2/4 time and Schottisches invariably in 4/4, like Strathspeys. I always assumed that, as the name "Schottisch" is German for Scottish, that the Schottisch was a German adoption of Strathspey.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #9
K Sanger
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sanderson View Post
There's a great many tunes go under the "Highland Schottische" title, it all goes back to when Queen Victoria took over Balmoral, evicted the residents, and started reinventing Highland culture. She may well deserve some credit for creating the world's first theme park with what she did to the Highlands.
Victoria was of German parents, her husband Albert was German, and the "Schottische" was a form of polka that came from the Bavarian region of Germany.

Like the architecture of Balmoral, the "Schottische" is German in origin. Variants of it can also be found wherever large groups of Germans settled, Argentina=schottische, Brazil=xoutiça, Mexico=Chotís, etc.

It's simply a Germanic polka that has modified as it has travelled. I'm sure it has been performed in Canada, so why not a "Canadian Schottische"?
Well put and I take it you have not had an invitation to the wedding either?

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Thank you all for the insights. The Guys found a hard copy of the tune in some other files and it is published as a 2/4 March by J. MacLellan, named Canadian Scottish. It is a 4 part tune, with each part repeated.

Have a fantastic week all.