Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
Freeman
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Question: Correct Fingering For High-A Grace Notes

Hello,

I'm learning the Jolly Beggarman. In second measure second bar there is a cut F, to a High-A grace note, onto a dotted High G.

Is the correct technique for High-A grace notes played in faster tunes to use the normal High A fingering (i.e. I need to snap my ring finger down quickly). Or since it's a passing note I can leave my ring finger up, so for a very brief moment while the High-A is sounded there is no top hand on the chanter.

Thanks.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

Default Re: Question: Correct Fingering For High-A Grace Notes

Just like you don't play a 'real' high G when playing a high G gracenote from B to Low A (for example) you don't involve your ring finger when playing a high A gracenote here.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:43 AM   #3
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Hello,

I'm learning the Jolly Beggarman. In second measure second bar there is a cut F, to a High-A grace note, onto a dotted High G.

Is the correct technique for High-A grace notes played in faster tunes to use the normal High A fingering (i.e. I need to snap my ring finger down quickly). Or since it's a passing note I can leave my ring finger up, so for a very brief moment while the High-A is sounded there is no top hand on the chanter.

Thanks.

A High-A Gracenote is actually played with the thumb, not the ring finger.

So to play correctly you would play F, thumb grace and lift the pointer.

Hope that helps.

PM if you have questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

You are correct, there will be no top hand fingers on the chanter during that, and every other, high A gracenote.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

That's something I've often had to explain, with the Highland pipes, uilleann pipes, Irish flute, whistle: gracenotes (or "cuts" as they're called in Irish music) usually involve snapping a singe digit, and therefore often/usually are not fingered like the corresponding full-length/melody note would be.

So in this example I would finger

x | xoo | xxxo
o | ooo | xxxo
x | ooo | xxxo

which contains the "lift two, replace one" theoretical approach of going up the scale with a gracenote. (In reality I imagine that the gracenote is near-instantaneous and the note-change is happening more or less in the middle of the time the thumb is off the chanter.)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
(In reality I imagine that the gracenote is near-instantaneous and the note-change is happening more or less in the middle of the time the thumb is off the chanter.)

Actually I'd bet good money that you do almost all your movements in the same direction simultaneously - so exactly as you have above. As far as I can tell every good player does, with the occasional exception of things involving the pinky around changes involving C and D.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote