Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #21
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Why is it still ivory that's No.1?

Do you think Briar root would make a good projecting mount material?

Until the start of this year I was a pipe smoker and I have to say I have always loved the honey coloured briar root of my smoking pipes and I know, having dropped them many times, that they are exceptionally hard wearing and, despite some of them taking years and years of punishment with heat and moisture, I have never had one split or crack.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #22
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post
Do you think Briar root would make a good projecting mount material?

Until the start of this year I was a pipe smoker and I have to say I have always loved the honey coloured briar root of my smoking pipes and I know, having dropped them many times, that they are exceptionally hard wearing and, despite some of them taking years and years of punishment with heat and moisture, I have never had one split or crack.
I bet Briar root would be great, if you can find it large enough. Mesquite and Osage Orange are also great and work well. In my area, I'm lucky enough to be able to harvest Osage Orange, and it has a close grain and lovely color.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #23
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

I don't imagine it would be too hard to find Briar root in large enough pieces although I suspect it wouldn't be cheap given how much I typically paid for a good tobacco pipe made of it.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:08 AM   #24
Dave
Forum Regular

Quote:
I don't imagine it would be too hard to find Briar root in large enough pieces although I suspect it wouldn't be cheap given how much I typically paid for a good tobacco pipe made of it.
I think it's too fussy for musical pipe work. Briar wood often has voids and bits of sand inside; which you won't know about until your blade hits one.

I'd suggest trying olivewood, another wood that can be made into excellent smoking pipes. The grain is very pretty with striking combinations of blonde and dark brown.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #25
Toxpert
Forum Regular

I now have a vintage non-ivory set that is my number 1.

I took a gamble on a set of wood-mount pipes this year and was rewarded with a set of ebony WWI Henderson pipes. A couple of ferrules had been swapped out and a blowpipe stock that was a Lawrie piece. Rick at Dunbar made a synthetic blowpipe stock and blowpipe...to provide a low maintenance permanent fix.

Overall...a very nice set that I believe would perform well at any level...IMHO. The COA from Ringo Ron denotes the same.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #26
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Personally I have five sets now and only one, a new set of Henderson PH01's in half engraved nickel have even imitation ivory.

I have to be honest and say that I regret buying the Hendersons as I bought them thinking I wanted to finally have a brand new set of pipes all of my very own in the classic style with a classic name but they just don't have any 'character' compared to my other sets despite that they were actually my most expensive set to buy. Sure they are a nice looking set and sound just fine but they don't sound 'special'. They have had less than two hours of play since I received them about two months ago. If I didn't think I would take a huge financial dive by selling them they would be gone.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #27
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Just comes down to personal preference. There are some really nice-looking artificial ivories being used right now. I don't tend to like the ones that look very obviously like plastic. I have a vintage set that has ivory on it, but the fact that it does wasn't a factor in the decision to buy it. If I was having a modern set made, I'd opt for a natural material: I've seen various woods and antlers that I think make attractive mounts.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #28
Toxpert
Forum Regular

Antler is fantastic looking and a renewable material source.
I have a very old set of laburnum border pipes with mounts, ferrules and stocks made of bone. Over the past couple of hundred years, one of the rings on a drone cap went missing. I had Michael MacHarg fabricate an antler replacement and fettle the pipes. The antler replacement is indistinguishable from the original bone on the rest of the set.

From a distance, the antler and bone look like ivory...and vice versa.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #29
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

What type of antler was used? I was speaking to my pipe making friend and he was saying he couldn't get Scottish deer antler of sufficient diameter for mounts.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #30
BGP
Forum Regular

Quote:
What type of antler was used? I was speaking to my pipe making friend and he was saying he couldn't get Scottish deer antler of sufficient diameter for mounts.
Moose antler is most common. My understanding is that most other types have too many voids/open grain inside.
BGP is offline   Reply With Quote