Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: I LOVE my bagpipes

My set, that I love:

1930’s Robertson drones - casein mounts and nickel that looks slightly beat-up.
Ezeedrone tenor reeds
Rocket carbon bass (trying out a Kelt bass, which may replace the Rocket)
Gannaway extended-small, tied-in with zipper
Shepherd ABW chanter with MacLellan reed, Troys sound good too.
Burgundy tweed pipe bag
Old 01-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
piperswan
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken140 View Post
Piperswan, that seems like a good idea RE the cane reeds in a moisture controlled container. How much “Plug and play” factor does that give you, compared to synthetics etc?
id say its similar to playing every day. They still have to be warmed up for a few mins which I do at the same time as getting my chanter reed going. But when I wasn't storing them and I went some time without playing it would really mess with the reeds. Just to get them to play id have to start changing bridle position, messing with clips position and then once they were warmed up and with a bit of moisture id have to do it all over again to get it back dialed in and not sucking too much air and tuning where I want.

So its not like they just plug and are perfect, but they play and can be tuned right from the get go.
piperswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #13
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Don't change the ivory! I bet it is amazing, there is nothing like it. Ivory has become a tad toxic PC terms in recent times, but remembering how it came to be on your pipes I think it would be a travesty if all that was to be in vain should you change it out for something else.
Thanks! I won't change it out. The ivory is also extremely beefy, like Robertsons (George Kilgour worked for Robertson before he went into the Scots Guards) and, as you say, beautiful. I just will no longer take these pipes outside the U.S. as I used to for competitions, etc.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
It's a damn-fine blog sir. The research you've put in is a tremendous service, and it was really helpful to me as I was stumbling along into finding the sound I'm currently enjoying.

Cheers,
~Nate
Here, here. Can't count how many times over the years I've listened through the blog to learn/hear something new, make purchasing decisions, or pass time.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #15
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
Thanks! I won't change it out. The ivory is also extremely beefy, like Robertsons (George Kilgour worked for Robertson before he went into the Scots Guards) and, as you say, beautiful. I just will no longer take these pipes outside the U.S. as I used to for competitions, etc.
I think the crossings are more of an issue going overseas to be honest where you coming/going through an airport. I grew up in Oregon going to British Columbia and just came back from Victoria Monday on a road trip. It could be a fluke but my experience is mostly the same over the years in that by ferry or by land the crossings are very rarely more than a general 45 second conversation about why you are entering/leaving either country. I don't think I have ever been asked about anything beyond if I have fruit.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #16
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi all,

Setup:
Drones: McCallum ABD4
Drone Reeds: Canning, G1 bass
Chanter: Dunbar Elite ABW / KYO poly
Chanter Reed: Husk
Bag: WMC Bannatyne
Dryer: Moose valve

I like the McCallums but they are all I have played. The Cannings are great and have been idiot proof but are 10 years old and I could use new ones but what?. The G1 cane has been fabulous, I lifted the tongue the first day and the day after and I haven,t done anything in a year. I have switch back and forth between the Dunbar and Kyo but I think I prefer the lower pitched Dunbar? The husk is the first reed I ever used that didn't need to be whittled down and sound great. I started with a Canmore gortex and the the WMC is awesome in comparison and I would suggest that no beginner waste 5 cents on such a thing and spend the extra and get something substantial. I have never needed anything but the Moose valve which works great and likely because I use a pretty easy read?

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #17
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
I think the crossings are more of an issue going overseas to be honest where you coming/going through an airport. I grew up in Oregon going to British Columbia and just came back from Victoria Monday on a road trip. It could be a fluke but my experience is mostly the same over the years in that by ferry or by land the crossings are very rarely more than a general 45 second conversation about why you are entering/leaving either country. I don't think I have ever been asked about anything beyond if I have fruit.
It varies, and it only seems to be getting worse.

A piper who is a good friend of mine made headlines when he and another friend were returning via car from Maxville, Ontario to New England, as they'd gone up there to compete. Their pipes were confiscated at the border. Due to all of the hoopla through the media coverage and several calls to local legislative officials, the pipes were eventually returned. But needless to say, that was quite a nightmare. Both sets were extremely old, and in one case, a family heirloom with quite bit of provenance behind them. They were played by the owner's father when he was the Queen's piper.

Anyway, apparently the issue with that particular incident had to do with "traveling through a designated port" .. and that particular road crossing was not one of them. By that rationale, the boys would have had an easier time flying, as I believe the major airports are considered to be "designated ports."

Sigh .. in any case, it's a nightmare. Makes me REALLY happy that my old Hendersons were made with casein (originally) and not ivory. If I want to travel up to Canada or even Scotland to compete at some point (and I imagine that I probably will) ... it would really stink to not be able to bring and play the set that I really feel the best in playing. I have to leave the Hendersons home enough as it is when I'm doing rowdy stage gigs ... that's bad enough.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #18
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

Just the two... very old sets... and as with the
rest of us... just getting older... every day!! :)

And... both... are main sets... depending upon
where... I am to play... and... with whom...

The (my) first... being 1916 ABW Lawries... in
the then military style... plain metal ferrules...
etc., and with an ABW 1916 Starck chanter
that was bought with them then, in London...
and has been played with them... ever since.

The second being a 1908 Cocuswood set...
with full ivory mounts... made in Ireland...

and these were accompanied by an early
1950s ABW ivory-soled chanter... made by
Bob Hardie... and which had... apparently...
been played with this set for many years.

Now... it's not so much that I love them...
which I do... but it is much more... that I am...
and simply... in awe of them... and where they
both have been... and the histories that both
have... and the many... many... historical events
in which both... had their place... and played their
part...

("That they may have parley with old folk of old
affairs.")

And what was... is... and shall be... ever on my
mind... is that I can but be a good steward for
and with them... and when... the Time comes...
as it surely shall... that I can find a really good
home for them... where they shall be properly
appreciated... and played... so that their music...
may continue... on...

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 01-10-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip01 View Post
Now... it's not so much that I love them...
which I do... but it is much more... that I am...
and simply... in awe of them... and where they
both have been... and the histories that both
have... and the many... many... historical events
in which both... had their place... and played their
part...

Well said. A fellow I was talking to one day said:

"We're not owners of these instruments—we're stewards. As such, it's our responsibility to care for them in a manner that ensures they continue their way through history."

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #20
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperswan View Post
id say its similar to playing every day. They still have to be warmed up for a few mins which I do at the same time as getting my chanter reed going. But when I wasn't storing them and I went some time without playing it would really mess with the reeds. Just to get them to play id have to start changing bridle position, messing with clips position and then once they were warmed up and with a bit of moisture id have to do it all over again to get it back dialed in and not sucking too much air and tuning where I want.

So its not like they just plug and are perfect, but they play and can be tuned right from the get go.
Reminds me if a particular interview story I heard
https://youtu.be/A5T5mb21MkY
Go in at 3:50 for the story
Mac an t-Sealgair is online now   Reply With Quote