Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Polishing and sealing old nickel ferules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
OK, I took some pics and learned a little about Google Photos.

On further looking, it seems that I probably don't want fully buffed and new-shiny ferules. I am beginning to think that clean, polished, but not-new-looking is what I need.

Here goes:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4a2Yrz0fjGC957j73

Charlie
The aforementioned Never Dull will do the trick for you. If you want more shine...then a rouge cloth after.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks,

I have Everbrite arriving in the mail tomorrow. So, it seems a simple polishing followed by sealing will work.

Given that the casein is cracking, the mounts will need replacing in the not-too-distant future. I keep being drawn to palm nut as a possibility for this. The only problem is that I love playing these pipes so much, it'll be tough to part with them for the duration of restoration.

Charlie
Old 11-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #13
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Thanks,

I have Everbrite arriving in the mail tomorrow. So, it seems a simple polishing followed by sealing will work.

Given that the casein is cracking, the mounts will need replacing in the not-too-distant future. I keep being drawn to palm nut as a possibility for this. The only problem is that I love playing these pipes so much, it'll be tough to part with them for the duration of restoration.

Charlie
Who will do the job?...who had the palm nut?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Who will do the job?...who had the palm nut?

Palm nut was being used for a while to turn mounts. I love the colors in it and that it looks close to ivory, hence its other name vegetal ivory.

Dave Atherton has used it. However, I get the impression that it lacks consistency from piece to piece and can be difficult to work with.

There are other options such as antler, but from what I've seen, it lacks the warmth of ivory.

As for a restorer, I don't know. Maybe MacLellan bagpipes, Thomas Doucet?

I think it'll be a couple of years before I need to get the work done, so I haven't really narrowed down choices.

Charlie
Old 11-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #15
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

FWIW, there are some methods for sealing and stabilizing casein that can maintain the structural integrity of the mounts (if they're not too far-gone) and keep them from deteriorating further.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #16
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
FWIW, there are some methods for sealing and stabilizing casein that can maintain the structural integrity of the mounts (if they're not too far-gone) and keep them from deteriorating further.

Please could you send me any links to these. I have looked around the internet to no avail. Personally, I like the color of the old casein mounts and would prefer to stabilize them rather than replace them.

I have read somewhere that cyanoacrylate (superglue) mixed into varnish works.

Charlie
Old 11-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #17
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

I don't have a link to DIY products, but I know that several pipe makers have done this. I'd contact Rick Pettigrew (at Dunbar), Thomas Doucet, Roddy MacLellan or Michael MacHarg.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

I, too, would love to learn about this. I've worked quite a bit with old casein. Some has come through the years in remarkable condition, other examples have the consistency of a dry biscuit. From what I've read drying is the major cause of long term deterioration, so I try to store casein mounted pipes in a humidity controlled environment. I think also industrial pollution, the coal burning years in the big cities, is at least partially to blame for the worst of the decay. But, this is just a theory.
Jay Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #19
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I wonder if an acrylic coating applied to the casein mounts would protect them.

Charlie