Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #11
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb
Default Re: Thread for late-comers to piping?

I like Bob684's attitude, and more often, the "adult" learner has acquired more focus and grit to continue with that learning process. Whether its pipes or some other field of endeavor.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
3D Piper
Forum Clasp

I started late in life at 31!

My experience with children and adults: I have worked with school age kids for the past 7 years. Kids learn fast because they are already in 'education' mode- ie classes, school, etc. They do learn fast, but can also get bored if not kept interested and challenged. For school age kids today, there are so many distractions (for my group sports) that after 3 or 4 years they can lose interest. This isn't necessarily their problem, though, because school age kids are very used to trying something for a semester or year, then trying something else. Piping/drumming/pipe band is a long-term commitment.

Adults can definitely have more focus and grit, but my own experience also has them 'thinking' too much. They ask lots of questions as to why things are done the way they are (especially if they already play other instruments). With school age kids, they just do what you tell them without thinking because they are already in a teacher/student state of mind. I have one adult student who tunes pianos for a living, and he always has so many questions and talks WAY too much about theory etc..! "Just play" is what I usually say... As they say on the radio: less talk, more rock!

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #13
eboychik
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I started three years ago this month at age 58. I take lessons every two weeks, and I practice as often as I can - which never feels like enough. I have already gotten great spiritual benefits out of my studies - the breathing, the coordination of blowing and squeezing the bag, the trying to play a note steadily. I will alkost certainly never play in a band, but my ambition is to enjoy my bagpipes and my slow but steady improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eboychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #14
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboychik View Post
I will alkost certainly never play in a band, but my ambition is to enjoy my bagpipes and my slow but steady improvement.
That's a good ambition, but please, don't tell yourself "almost certainly never" toward anything. Put in the work and dedication, and see what happens. Anything can happen, so don't count yourself out in any capacity.

Cheers, and have fun!
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
SweetDrones
Forum Member

As my sax teacher says, about taking up trombone a couple of years ago in at least his mid 70s, if the the little kids can do it, it can't be that hard... He now plays trombone parts in gigs in a band (as well as all the various saxes, trumpet and probably a few other instruments I don't know about).

I wonder if it is a culture thing - I too got some ageism when I took up pipes age 40. Requirement in the band to achieve a certain standard. While my experience with sax is limited, my first impression is there isnt that ageism in sax. Could be a question of playing with soul I suppose.

I don't fully agree with the view that as you get older it gets harder to learn stuff. I actually think that in some ways it gets easier as experience makes us more efficient in our learning. Professionally I have met translators in their 50s who's idea of vacation is to go off to some less travelled part of sub-saharan Africa for 6 weeks to pick up 5 or 6 new dialects to add to their repertoire.
SweetDrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
John Blunt
Forum Gold Medal

Another two cents worth. I began at 49, as an aid to my son, who wished to learn the pipes. I had extensive experience learning low brass and woodwinds in high school and college. I figured: I can read music and count out measures. I'll learn the practice chanter and help him out. Long story short, I stayed on and he moved to other interests.

Young learners do pick up things more easily, but the older ones have a better focus and organizational skills. On the deficit side, as you age, accumulated damage and deterioration (such as arthritis in the hands or old injury) can make for difficulty.

I'm now 62 (wait, that can't be right!) and play well enough to be competitive in Grade IV and Adult grades. It helps to focus and advance my play. I also perform in church and hire out at weddings, birthdays and funerals. It's been quite a ride.

JMB
John Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #17
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboychik View Post
I will almost certainly never play in a band, but my ambition is to enjoy my bagpipes and my slow but steady improvement.
You can definitely play in a band if you want to.

When I started playing I really only wanted to play while camping and stuff like that. I have had some minor success as an entry level solo competitor, but I've found I really like playing in a band. Two things I never would have thought about.

Just give it a try if you feel like it. If you don't like it then stop.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:59 AM   #18
MichaelR.S.
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your Insight. I appreciate it.