Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #21
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Taps on pipes?

I think it's a shame how the US armed forces subject grieving families to ersatz "Taps" played by a stunt double bugler pretending to play the instrument. How many families know this is happening? (Would it bother them if they knew?) Would it kill the Army, etc., to train more soldiers to play the bugle? Just the one tune? Is this too much to expect?
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #22
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper909 View Post
I think it's a shame how the US armed forces subject grieving families to ersatz "Taps" played by a stunt double bugler pretending to play the instrument. How many families know this is happening? (Would it bother them if they knew?) Would it kill the Army, etc., to train more soldiers to play the bugle? Just the one tune? Is this too much to expect?
While yes, Taps is just one tune, it takes a while to build the lip strength to play the highest note necessary.

I'm sure there are enough people in the military who played trumpet in band in high school that they could have some real buglers.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #23
JBGriffith
Forum Clasp

This same thing happened to me twice last month. The first time, the "bugler" forgot to change batteries in the ceremonial ( electronic) bugle, and it conked out after the first few notes. So, I immediately struck in the pipes and played TAPS . Then, just a week later, the "bugler" brought the horn up to his lips, reached in front to tap the start button on the electronic bugle, and discovered that he had left the insert back at the military base, over 100 miles away. He looked over at me with "HELP" all over his face. So, once again, I shouldered the pipes and saved his butt. I've lost count of how many times this has happened at funerals I've piped. Sometimes, the honor guard will ask me to pipe TAPS, even if they brought the ceremonial bugle.

As an old trumpet player, I do think TAPS should be played on a bugle, trumpet, or cornet if at all possible, but sometimes, the pipes are the only instrument available and working.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:08 AM   #24
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJB View Post
I've never played taps on the pipes, and won't. It just doesn't seem right.
I can understand this feeling. It comes from a legitimate place: Taps was composed specifically for the bugle, and on any other instrument sounds out-of-place.

Reminds me of when, years ago, I got a call for a wedding. "Here's the tunes we want you to play: Trumpet Voluntary, Trumpet Tune In D, Rondeau in D" etc etc and there followed a list of all the common trumpet pieces that trumpet players play at weddings.

I said "those are all trumpet pieces. If you want trumpet music you need to hire a trumpet player."

"Oh, no, we want a bag-piper."

I was at a loss to explain that different sorts of instruments are at home with the music composed for them, and it sounds strange to use the wrong instruments to play certain genres.

Eventually I was able to convince them to let me play bagpipe music.

On the other hand, we pipers play non-pipe tunes all the time and think nothing of it, tunes like Scotland The Brave and Ewe With The Crooked Horn and Amazing Grace. (Playing a non-pipe tune a zillion times on the pipes doesn't retroactively change the tune's origin.)

So, like all those tunes, I think Taps sounds well enough on the pipes, when needed. Yes it sounds best on the intended instrument.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 07-03-2019 at 04:17 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:21 AM   #25
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGriffith View Post
I've lost count of how many times this (a Ceremonial Bugle malfunctioning) has happened at funerals I've piped.
Interesting, I've played hundreds of military funerals and I've never seen a Ceremonial Bugle malfunction. I've talked to the soldiers and they tell me that they put in new batteries for each service (which sounds excessive, but safe).
Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #26
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Reminds me of when, years ago, I got a call for a wedding. "Here's the tunes we want you to play: Trumpet Voluntary, Trumpet Tune In D, Rondeau in D" etc etc and there followed a list of all the common trumpet pieces that trumpet players play at weddings.

I said "those are all trumpet pieces. If you want trumpet music you need to hire a trumpet player."

"Oh, no, we want a bag-piper."

I was at a loss to explain that different sorts of instruments are at home with the music composed for them, and it sounds strange to use the wrong instruments to play certain genres.
Interestingly, a local street band PM used to play Trumpet Voluntary for weddings, and gave me a copy of his setting. I have used it (requested) for several weddings over the years, it's fairly good, but I don't volunteer it. The street band PM may not have been a very good piper, but he was very good at shtick and catering to popular demand.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #27
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
a local street band PM used to play Trumpet Voluntary for weddings...
My old Pipe Major had a large repertoire of Baroque etc tunes that he could play when needed, including an endless number of hymns, and quite a few Baroque trumpet tunes, and organ tunes.

Nevertheless when somebody calls me to play a load of trumpet pieces for their wedding I'm going to pass them off to a trumpet player!
Old 07-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #28
caseybea
Forum Member

I work at a scout camp every summer. I am the bugler among other things; but I also bring my pipes. Once during the session, instead taps on bugle I do it on pipes. Fun stuff. I am fortunate to have the lip for both instruments :-)
caseybea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #29
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

I had a bridezilla who, through many emails of attempted negotiations, would not be dissuaded that the Trumpet Voluntary is better left to a trumpet player or anyone with more than an octave range. I played it, but do not suggest it as a viable piece for the pipes. I've seen the videos of pipers playing it, but still don't agree it actually works on the pipes. I nicknamed the arrangement the Trumpet Dysentery because it takes a lot of very fluid fudging of notes. Had it not been that the bride was linked to a family I've worked for for years, I'd have flat out refused to play it.
Taps is nicely well suited to the chanter by comparison.