Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #11
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: OK, Who Knew?

Itís shocking when someone famous is competent as part of our little community. It canít hurt our instrument when itís played well on a big stage.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-03-2019, 04:29 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sanderson View Post
the playing seems OK to me, even though his posture is not something I'm used to seeing.
I think his posture is OK (his shoulders and head are straight etc) but the position of the pipes is odd: the bag is very low, not up in the arm-pit.

Suit jackets vary greatly in the shape of the arm-holes. Some are long ovals which don't allow a bag to be pushed up to the normal position, and I'm guessing that's the issue.

My kilt jackets have arm-holes that are more round, allowing the bag to go most of the way up.

BTW uilleann pipers often have the bag very low like that, in contact only with the elbow (uillinn, from which the instrument gets its name).

(It's one of the ways you can spot an uilleann piper who started on GHB: they sometimes keep the bag way up in the armpit, which is decidedly non-uilleann.)

And one sees Highland pipers back in Victorian times with their bag that low, sometimes.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 07-03-2019 at 04:45 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

I knew, but I live and grew up in the DC area. Yes, he's a very good player. He played in the Denny & Dunipace/Scottish and Irish Imports Pipe Band, which later became City of Washington. I believe the band spent time in both grades 1 and 2 while he was a member.

The instrument he played in that performance wasn't his own; it was borrowed from a former bandmate. It's a one-off modern copy of a very old Lawrie bagpipe.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
djmclaws
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooklidge View Post
Doesn't do much for the integrity of the instrument.

What do you mean?
djmclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
BigJ1632
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Does anyone know who made his pipes?
Dave, judging from another thread on social media, he is playing a set of Gibson pipes.

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 07-08-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added block quote for reference, so we quickly know what/who this post is responding to.
BigJ1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #16
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ1632 View Post
Dave, judging from another thread on social media, he is playing a set of Gibson pipes.
Good eye. The set was made by Jerry Gibson, but it is not a stock Gibson. It's a copy of a very old Lawrie that was too damaged to repair. Jerry Gibson duplicated its dimensions and transferred the mounts.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #17
RJB
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmclaws View Post
What do you mean?
Agreed!

Probably has to do with his politics, and not the instrument at all!
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 AM   #18
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Though an American I have no idea who that guy is, and I couldn't care less.

There are probably very few public figures/celebrities that I would recognize on sight.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:00 AM   #19
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Though an American I have no idea who that guy is, and I couldn't care less.
Ah, to live outside the DC bubble . He's the Attorney General of the US, and thus, the head of the Justice Department. Regardless of your political leanings, he's an important figure around here, as he wields quite a lot of power.