Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #11
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Default Re: Kilt Sizing

I've several kilts and this method is spot on.

However, I was recently speaking with kilt maker and he never heard of this method.

Should I be concerned? (we are discussing a kilt sold that doesn't pass this measurement test yet the maker swears I measured incorrectly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Assuming that the body of the kilt itself hasn't been altered, you can get a fair idea of the kilt's original waist size by laying the open kilt out, measuring from end-to-end around 2 inches from the top binding (4 inches for an army kilt) and multiplying that number by .666
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
I've several kilts and this method is spot on.

However, I was recently speaking with kilt maker and he never heard of this method.

Should I be concerned? (we are discussing a kilt sold that doesn't pass this measurement test yet the maker swears I measured incorrectly).
Maybe you could take a picture of the kilt in question, with yardstick in place, and have the maker explain why he says it's measured wrong? Picture worth a thousand etc... At least it would get you both on the same sheet of music... I'm sure full of metaphors this morning...
Old 07-16-2019, 05:23 AM   #13
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post

I was recently speaking with kilt maker and he never heard of this method.
For sure it's an estimate. But it's based on simple math, that the kilt has one layer across your backside but is doubled across the front.

It's handy because it's easy to explain and easy to measure.

There are many kilts sold on Ebay by people who don't know anything about kilts and don't know how to calculate the waist size. Since traditional kilts nearly always lack a size label (except the Army ones) the sellers are merely guessing, or will state an inaccurate size. The .666 formula at least gets you within an inch of the kilt's originally intended size.

Where an old kilt presently buckles at may or may not be it's originally built size, due to how common it is for buckles to be moved.

For example there was a kilt on Ebay a while back where the buckles had been moved far from the wearer's right side, and around a third of the way onto the pleated rear section, making the kilt buckle several inches smaller than its original size. Measuring the fabric itself gets you past where the buckles happen to be now.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:58 AM   #14
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Agreed. Thank you for taking the time to explain.
I am wiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Measuring the fabric itself gets you past where the buckles happen to be now.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #15
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

FWIW -- I once owned a genuine Cameron Highlanders army surplus (bought in Inverness) OR kilt and it only had ONE kilt strap and buckle, on the right side of the wearer. The apron flap (left side) was plain, had no strap, and no slot in the waistband for a strap from the right side. This meant it could be easily adjusted to the waist size of the owner, there was only the one buckle to move, on the right side. I have since made this modification to a secondhand kilt that was a tad too small, I had a professional tailor remove the apron strap and the buckle on the left side and move the right side buckle to accommodate the strap from the left side, fastening on the right. This seems to be the minimum fastening necessary for a kilt anyway and has worked well for me. You may wish to consider this possibility, as a minor alteration -- retain the removed strap and buckle in the event of a resale or a resizing!
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote