Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-31-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
Swepiper
Forum Member

Default Pipe bag for smallpipes

I'm getting a new bag for a set och MacCallum SSP, mouthblown, and I'm wondering about choice of pipe bags. Since they are mouthblown I want synthetic to make it as breathable as possible, and I'll need a zipper for the moisture control. I have found two options:

Canmore
http://www.canmorepipebags.com/shop-...no-collar-zip/

Bannatyne
http://www.bannatyne.ltd.uk/wp/onlin...tic-pipe-bags/ (the plain zipper one)

Any thought on which would be better? Any other alternative I should consider? Size recommendation (for a 6'1" reasonably hefty guy)?
I'll add that I did have a Canmore smallpipes bag (bellows tied in) but I didn't like the shape. It just didn't sit right under my arm.

Should I consider Bannatyne's bag with grommet instead, for the blowpipe? My experience with grommets is that it's impossible get the right ange for the blowpipe, it just springs forward. Is old fashioned tie-in better in this regard or just as bad?

Are "normal" GHB-style bags very uncommon for smallpipes?

Lot of questions I know, thankful for any input.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:46 AM   #2
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Pipe bag for smallpipes

If you want "breathable" AND a zipper in order to allow moisture control, I don't feel the synthetic is 100% essential ... and I would question whether it's preferable, though this would of course depend on your own needs and tastes.

I'd highly suggest considering giving Mr. Michael MacHarg a call (aka, the "Wee Piper). He's renowned for many things in piping, not least of which are his bags.

http://weepiper.com/bags.htm

He makes a hide, zipper bag, and I daresay no one is as knowledgable and capable of accommodating custom needs than he.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #3
Swepiper
Forum Member

MacHarg sounds like a good product, i might consider it. Buying stuff overseas is a hassle though, plus I'm on a tight budget.

No thoughts on using the previously mentioned bags with smallpipes?
Old 02-01-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swepiper View Post
MacHarg sounds like a good product, i might consider it. Buying stuff overseas is a hassle though, plus I'm on a tight budget.

No thoughts on using the previously mentioned bags with smallpipes?
I, for one, can only comment on what I know, and I have limited experience with those products. I much prefer bellows-blown smallpipes, so my perspective is a bit limited in that regard.

The last time I played mouth-blown smallpipes regularly was about 20 years ago, as I was waiting for my bellows-blown smallpipes to arrive. As soon as those came, I sold off my mouth-blown, and never looked back. Though I do play highland pipes still, and often.

I believe the mouth-blown smallpipes set I was using had a Canmore. I was content with it .. no moisture control, but then, moisture control systems were far-less prevalent at the time. Also, I was young and new to piping, so I had no expectations. Neither of those are the case now ... I'm much older, and have plenty of expectations. =P So far, whenever I've tried smallpipes with synthetic bags, I've found them to be very uncomfortable ... but that's purely based on my preferences.

My first highland pipe bag was a Canmore, and it seemed to breath pretty well. I've used Bannatyne hybrids as well; those really seemed to trap in moisture, so moisture control was a must. But, I don't know about their non-hybrid bags, which is what you appear to have there with that link.

I've recently, and finally, tried sheepskin on my highland pipes for the first time ... I like it a lot so far, though I'll confess, I was reasonably content with some of the hybrid bags I was using previously.

Everyone has different tastes and needs. Mine are (usually) natural bags, or firm-feeling hybrids. And for smallpipes, I greatly favor bellows (especially since moisture isn't a worry whatsoever).

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

My mouthblown Soutar SSP are tied into a Banatyne bag. If you play highland pipes, the SSP are so easy to play you don't really need MC if you have plastic reeds. The bottle trap doesn't hurt, but I generally don't bother with it.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:44 AM   #6
TheHaggisMaster
Forum Silver Medal

I bought a Gannaway Smallpipe Bag for mouth blown ssp. Best thing ever but there's no drone fittings. You have to cut it in yourself or the guys and girls at Gannaway can cu the holes and you tie it in. Didn't like the synthetic bag my FM smallpipes Ce with. Zipper in the side
Old 02-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Canmore extended small.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #8
Swepiper
Forum Member

Just got my new bag in the post, a Canmore goose bag with zipper. That puts me in the next scary phase: cutting the bag and tying in the stocks. There are no collars in the bag and I have'nt been able to find any guidance in tying in the stocks. My main concerns are:

- Placement of common stock

- Placement of blowpipe stock

- How to do the actual tying in of stock given that it's a synthetic bag

I've tied in chanter stocks previously so that's no problem, and I have seen some info about cutting and tying in stocks in skin/hide-bags, but haven't seen anything specific about how to do it in synthetic bags.

Can you give me any tips or pointers? Any common mistakes I need to avoid? General rules about placement of the stocks? The bag is quite costly so I'd preferrably get it right the first time...
Old 03-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
Swepiper
Forum Member

Really?! No one ever tied in a synthetic bag without collars? Please, I'm beginning to be a little worried...
Old 03-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I haven't done what you describe but FWIW, I used to play a John Walsh shuttle pipe with a synthethic bag. It was tied in with electricians tape, which never did leak when I was playing them.

I hope this helps,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote