Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pipe bag for smallpipes

I've seen a synthetic bag (not hybrid) tied in the same as a leather bag, with a star cut and twine/cord. I've also seen tape used. I would probably use a circular cut, tie in with cord, and then tape the seam.

As far as placement goes, I have surveyed my Hughes, Garvie, Banton, and Kinnear smallpipes/border pipes and they are all very similar. Though I imagine you have a template to work from with your old bag?

Anyways, if you fold the bag in half such that the tip of the chanter stock hole is even with the back of the bag, the common stock goes on the blowpipe side of the fold. Below is an image of my Hughes mouthblown smallpipes demonstrating this. The Garvie and Kinnear common stock hole was also just along the fold but higher up, just below the top fold; this higher placement would put your drones on a more of a diagonal whereas on my Hughes set with the lower hole the drones stick straight out to the side, horizontally. The Banton set has the common stock even farther forward toward the chanter stock but it is bellows blown so it doesn't have a blowpipe stock to contend with; it is also higher up closer to the top fold than the Hughes shown below.

So my research suggests you'd put the common stock hole completely under the top fold, but quite close to it, and also completely on the front half of the bag, just past the fold were you to fold the bag in half. Blowpipe is similarly up near the top fold, as usual.

Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #12
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I tied a Bannatyne synthetic bag onto my Walsh mouthblown smallpipes several years ago. For the common stock, I took the position from my old bag. The main difference between tying in this stock and tying in those of a set of highland pipes was that, because of its size, I could not insert the common stock into the opening cut for it from the inside of the bag. I had to insert it from the outside. Of course, if you have a zippered bag (mine was not), you can insert the stock into the bag and then push it through the opening from the inside, just as you would for highland pipes. The other problem was that the inside of the bag was very smooth and slippery. I found that I had to tape the stock in position in order to be able to accomplish the tie because the stock kept slipping. A Canmore bag should not be slippery on the inside, but the Bannatyne has some sort of smooth finish applied to it.

On the whole, if your bag is zippered, it should not be a big problem to cut the holes and tie in the stocks, which you can do in the same way as for highland pipe stocks.

Last edited by acadianpiper; 03-28-2019 at 02:01 PM.
acadianpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #13
Swepiper
Forum Member

Thanks, very good tips and advice, I can feel my confidence growing. I'll get it done the coming week and hope to bring a favorable report. Cheers!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #14
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

If you still have the old bag, I'd use it for guidance as to placement. If you like how it was, then just do them the same.

My Soutar pipes are tied, with tape over the cord, so I can't tell much about how it was actually done. The blowpipe, interestingly, has a collar. I never realized that until just now.

You might be able to tell more about how the old one was done as you take it apart.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:36 AM   #15
Swepiper
Forum Member

I just want to make a little report of my progress: I finally did it, and it was not at all as difficult as I had feared. The synthetic bag was more a lot more stretchy and pliable than I imagined and the tying in-result was to my (untrained) eye very good. Airtightness is fine and I'd post a picture of the tie-in but i covered it with the black sticky-stretchy tape before i thought to take a photograph. Here is a picture of the complete set instead, and I've even sown a custom cover for them

The only nag is that I should have placed the common stock a little higher and a little further forward, but all in all I'm very satisfied. Thanks for your tips and advice, it was very helpful and encouraging. Now all that remains is a lot of playing!

Cheers from Sweden!
Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #16
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swepiper View Post
Really?! No one ever tied in a synthetic bag without collars? Please, I'm beginning to be a little worried...
Tying in a synthetic bag without collars is not very diferent from tying in a hide bag. I've done a couple of them over the years. There are how-to instructions online if you go look for them.
If I have time later today, I'll post some links.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #17
Swepiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
There are how-to instructions online if you go look for them. If I have time later today, I'll post some links.
I looked all over but apparently not good enough Mine is all tied in now but it would be nice just to check if I made any major mistakes and for future reference, thanks!