Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default 78 rpm

I found an online repository of 78's that have been digitized. Using the search term bagpipe pulls up a few. The one here called Mallorca is somewhat interesting. The piper is PM Forsyth, who identifies himself as the King's piper.

He's tuned to 444 hz. And his drones are out of tune.

The one with Rakes of Mallow by PM Stark is at 455, and his drones are out of tune too.

There are some interesting recordings of fiddles too. If you search for Reels and Jigs it will pull them up. Interesting that there are a number of medleys that are made up of a number of reels first, followed by jigs.

https://archive.org/details/georgebl...nstrumental%22
Old 06-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: 78 rpm

Interesting ...not up to today’s gr 5 standard.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Did they not tune their drones back then? At all? The drones aren't even in tune with each other, never mind to the pitch of the chanter.

Plenty of pipers today play vintage pipes, cane reeds, and skin bags, and sound great, so it's not their instruments. Hard to understand.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Did they not tune their drones back then? At all? The drones aren't even in tune with each other, never mind to the pitch of the chanter.

Plenty of pipers today play vintage pipes, cane reeds, and skin bags, and sound great, so it's not their instruments. Hard to understand.
No internet and Korg tuners back then ....whatever ‘good ear’ was available was “local’....but each locale had its own tonemeister. ..so when / if different locales met up it was more likely somewhat of a dog’s meal by today’s standards.
The only constant to some degree would have been military bands I’d think.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

It's hard for younger pipers to understand, but tuning was a lot harder back in the days of cane reeds and hide bags. It was much more common when I began my piping journey in 1982 to hear wildly out-of-tune instruments. Synthetic drone reeds and moisture control systems started changing this and nowadays you are far less likely to hear such.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Noticed this interesting bit on FB today about drones...

“ Drones overall will be more impactful than I think people recognize, in positive ways to help society." ~ Bill Gates

Get yours here 👉🏼 http://bit.ly/drone-deal
Get yours here 👉🏼 http://bit.ly/drone-deal

The sky’s the limit.....😎
Old 07-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

That's part of what I find really interesting. You'd assume that the King's Piper would at least be competent. My conclusion is that our definition of "competency" is at a higher level. I think recording technology has had a lot to do with advances in musicianship. When musicians started to be able to hear what they really sounded like it made them want to get better.

Either that, or it was a desired effect. There's a book from about 1900 that has a section where an Army PM describes tuning. He talks about matching the drones to the chanter, but at the end, if low-a and high-a aren't in agreement his advice is to split the difference.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think there were a lot of things going on. I strongly suspect the 19th century British Army produced a lot of very unmusical pipers - the kind of pipers who play the bagpipe like an accordion, move your fingers like this and this note comes out - and this had the effect of lowering standards across the board. Piping judges generally were probably little better, so there was no real incentive for competitors to compete on standard of tuning - as long as they were close, they were good. All the innovation was in tunes and technique, which bad amateur playing judges could pick out.

Also, I think these recording sessions were probably not given a great deal of respect by early pipers. I doubt they distinguished between a recording session and a gig for any old so-and-so.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

Also, I think these recording sessions were probably not given a great deal of respect by early pipers. I doubt they distinguished between a recording session and a gig for any old so-and-so.
Fair enough, but would you play any random gig with your drones out of tune?
Old 07-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #10
Michael Flemming
Forum Regular

Does anyone have any historical info on P/M's Forsyth and Starck? Were they real Pipe Majors or just calling themselves that?