Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Default David Naill solo blackwood chanters - Any good?

Hi all,

A few hours ago I snapped up a D. Naill blackwood chanter on that infamous auction site for less than a third of the 'new' price. The reason I did this was that I read on the Naill website, while checking out my recently acquired Naill DN0 pipes, that this chanter has dominated solo piping competition for the last thirty years. The seller claims that the chanter is entirely unused and untouched since purchase 'a few years ago'.

Can't find any reviews online so far to back this up so the question is - Are these chanters really that good?

Did I do good or should I have held onto my bucks?

Currently I have two identical R.G. Hardie blackwood chanters that I picked up as New old stock about ten years ago, a poly Warnock (around 22 years old if I recall correctly though it could be older), a poly Warmac (with Imit Ivory sole) can't remember when I got it but at least 12+ years ago and the poly D. Naill chanter that came with my Naill's pipes.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: David Naill solo blackwood chanters - Any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post
Hi all,

A few hours ago I snapped up a D. Naill blackwood chanter on that infamous auction site for less than a third of the 'new' price. The reason I did this was that I read on the Naill website, while checking out my recently acquired Naill DN0 pipes, that this chanter has dominated solo piping competition for the last thirty years. The seller claims that the chanter is entirely unused and untouched since purchase 'a few years ago'.

Can't find any reviews online so far to back this up so the question is - Are these chanters really that good?

Currently I have two identical R.G. Hardie blackwood chanters that I picked up as New old stock about ten years ago, a poly Warnock (around 22 years old if I recall correctly though it could be older), a poly Warmac (with Imit Ivory sole) can't remember when I got it but at least 12+ years ago and the poly D. Naill chanter that came with my Naill's pipes.
I think D.Naill & co. make only 1 chanter....not a solo and band...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Mac,

It's what you want to play. I'm sure the Naill solo will be great! Especially in blackwood. But in general I would strongly recommend trying everything that you can (like you're doing) and making up your own thoughts, not buying based on what makers say their products have won or who is playing them. Every piping company talks about how many bands play their chanter or who won with their reeds, etc etc.

Honestly most every chanter, pipe maker and reed made today are pretty bang on. And most professionals and bands are likely playing chanters and reeds they are endorsed by at a severely reduced price or even free because the big makers want their name and recognition out there. Those same bands and open players could win with most any gear they're playing because it is all about setup and playing ability. Plenty of great makers never get talked up in competitions (especially chanters) such as Wallace, MacLellan, Dunbar, Kron etc because I believe they aren't chasing after large accounts.

My 2 pence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I think D.Naill & co. make only 1 chanter....not a solo and band...
They do it seems:
polypenco band chanter

solo chanter

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe once Roddy MacLeod teamed up with Naill to produce the RJM he also collaborated to update their chanter for band use. The solo I think remains their own design.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post
Hi all,

There's lots of info on the Blackwood Naill here on the forum. They are excellent chanters overall. Great response and harmonics.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post

They do it seems:
polypenco band chanter

solo chanter

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe once Roddy MacLeod teamed up with Naill to produce the RJM he also collaborated to update their chanter for band use. The solo I think remains their own design.
Thanks for the update....my understanding was from their shop in the early 80ís.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks for the replies.

I was contemplating dropping some coin on a new Henderson Blackwood chanter when this Naill came up and it struck me that, at a mere £75, it would be downright foolish not to buy the Naill.

I tend to prefer the blackwood 'solo' chanters as, going by the ones I own and have previously owned, they tend to tune quite a bit lower than band spec chanters and I prefer a lower tone when I am playing for myself. One thing I am not really big on and, to date, have not found the need for is sticking loads of tape all over my chanters. The ones I have seem to never actually need any for my taste and a little variation in blowing strength is generally all I need to get the note pitches as sweet as I want so, when I hear of people having to carve and bung tape all over a particular chanter to get it 'to taste' really puts me off whatever chanter that might be.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Have a look at this thread.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...=Naill+chanter

Paul
Old 07-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks for linking me to that thread, sounds like I won't have any problems with a Naill although I don't believe the one I have bought is anything close to coming from the 80's period that seems to have been the favoured period for Naill's in that thread.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #9
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

The Naill poly band chanter is a bit of an outlier...only knew of one band that played them and they have since moved on from them..still a good chanter but can be finicky to reed up as are the solo model...the circa 1980 to 1992 solo wood is the one you want..flatter pitch but lovely and elegant..tends to be flat on C and D...a wee carving will sort that out..they come up for sale from time to time...some will have a bow in them like mine does..congrats on your purchase.

Last edited by magsevenband; 07-07-2019 at 05:26 AM.
magsevenband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

They are CAPABLE of being "that good," if you have the skill, and you like their sound. They've certainly been used to win pretty much all the big solo prizes. As with any wooden chanter, every piece of wood is different, so there will be some that end up being better than others as they age.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote