Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pierced Pipers?

I never had any tattoos or piercings. I can think of it possibly affecting some preconceived notions on the client's part, even though it shouldn't. 30 years ago, (in my punk rock days) when I was just starting to do gigs, I really wanted to dye my electric hair blue. I can only imagine the negative reactions of the time. It probably wouldn't be as bad today, and lots of my current clients have visible tattoos and piercings. Sometimes, I'm the square at the gig by comparison. About the only thing I did along those lines was grow my hair long to about mid back a couple of times. Luckily when I did, it coincided with the Braveheart and Rob Roy movies and the Highlander tv show, so it may have helped more than harmed.
Where I live, gauged ears are fairly common, so I doubt many people would have a problem. If you're worried about how they're accepted at gigs, maybe get some plugs with Celtic art engraved into them?
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Wow, thank you all for sharing your perspectives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin
Someone has to remember it’s about the music!
Many thanks for the encouragement, Patrick! As an aside, I recently stumbled across your blog in my search for some tunes that most folks on the streets might recognize -- your American Music arrangesments were exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer
nobody cares about anything, as said above, than their music and participation (here, in any event).
As it should be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper
It shouldn’t matter of course, but I wonder what perceptions may be for paying clientele when the piper for a funeral shows up with multiple piercings and tattoos. Musicality should prevail.
Yes, truly some of the most talented pipers might rock a piercing or two or even a half or full sleeve tattoo. In the grand scheme of how "extreme" folks have gone with body modifications, I'd say my piercings are generally acceptable. Of course, a client is entitled to hire a piper sans visible tattoos or piercings if they so desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper
the metal ones continually knock at the back of your teeth and sometimes chip off the enamel (possibly leading to losing the tooth). I had never heard that before!
Oof! Exactly why I stay away from any piercings in the mouth. I've had enough dental work over the years to know that I shan't take any more chances with my oral health. You see some incredibly silly...possibilities, come to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q
I may do a double take if I see a piper with large gauge earlobe adornments, and stare some
I'm generally curious why folks (not just in piping!) have this aversion towards stretched ear lobes. Is there an underlying assumption that some sort of painful, sadistic pleasure is required to stretch one's lobes?

Interestingly enough, I'm quite sensitive to pain! My ear lobes are currently stretched to a half inch, but it's also a process that I did slowly over the course of a year with no pain. It really is just a matter of letting the piercing heal, sliding in a "plug" or "tunnel" thats a few milimeters larger, and then rinsing and repeating. I might go up to three quarters of an inch, but I have no interest in lobes that are stretched to the diameter of a can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer
On a related note, however, there have been some expectations regarding uniforms. Many players now wear what might be called 'civilian' uniforms; yet there are many non-players/hiring individuals who still want to see someone in 'military' (e.g., Full Dress/No. 1) kit.
I think that many pipers (at least in the websites that I've perused) do a fine job of informing folks about tunes that are available and options for Highland dress. I think one could simply add in a brief blurb about any visable piercings/tattoos that might be had, and that they'd be happy to discuss any concerns with the client. I'm all about freedom of expression, but I don't think I'd let my septum ring cost me a potential gig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood
Darn! I guess I can't wear my utilikilt and combat boots?
We never said you couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz
my natural reaction is "ooo, that looks painful"—but that why folks do it, right? To look cool and get a reaction?
Done properly, the stretching process doesn't hurt at all, no matter how large one chooses to go! Sadly, there are far too many knuckleheads rushing the process, resulting in some pretty rough injuries (imagine trying to fit a 1/2 inch piece of jewelry into your average fresh piercing!)

In my case, I strongly identify with punk culture, and it just feels like a natural part of who I am, if that makes any sense. Who knows, I might look back on my early 20's with absolute horror one day. Until then, I'll keep rocking out at punk shows and beating the heck out of each other in the mosh pit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers
maybe get some plugs with Celtic art engraved into them?
That's actually a fantastic idea! There's certainly no shortage of Celtic-inspired body jewelry; perhaps this can be used to my advantage.

Again, thank you all for sharing your thoughts! Some seriously great nuggets to think about and chew on.

Best,
Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Interesting thread. I have several tattoos, but only one that's just barely visible above the top of my sock if I don't pull my hose all the way up. I've never given it any thought. If I was tattooed or pierced where it is always exposed, I might give some thought to my ability to present different images to different potential clients. IMO, of course, it shouldn't matter, but people are people.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
Toxpert
Forum Regular

Jimmy Buffett sant it so well that a “tattoo is a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling”.

As the tattoo industry continues to grow, the public does not see the complications that clinicians deal with on an increasingly daily basis.

Infectious diseases, allergies to inks, photosensitization...are but starters for the plethora of collateral effects from tattoos. Is there a tattoo process that can be safe? NO

This article link may open you eyes to risks....
I apologize if this comes across too geeky/medical speak. Designing and operating major pathology laboratories has been the wheel house of my professional career.

Cheers, Mac

http://www.jcasonline.com/article.as...aulast=Khunger

Last edited by Toxpert; 07-22-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #15
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

That's basically a literature review (no original research) and some of what's cited is very out of date. Modern tattoo inks and practices are NOT what they were in decades past, and many states DO have impose regulations on the industry. There's nothing there about complication RATES, which makes it hard for a reader to evaluate RELATIVE risk. SERIOUS complications of tattooing, and many types of piercing, while they do occur, are relatively rare.

That said, nobody should undergo ANY sort of body modification without being fully informed and aware of the risks. As with any sort of medically-risky procedure, you can have a bad outcome even if you take all reasonable precautions. Body mods are for grown-ups.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxpert View Post
Jimmy Buffett sant it so well that a “tattoo is a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling”.
Which is a perfectly fine reason to get a tattoo. Many of us get tattoos to remember/honor/reflect on/etc. a certain part or phase of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxpert
As the tattoo industry continues to grow, the public does not see the complications that clinicians deal with on an increasingly daily basis.
Do you have a source for this figure? As technology continues to develop and professional ethics/practices continue to be refined, I'd expect the opposite to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxpert
Infectious diseases, allergies to inks, photosensitization...are but starters for the plethora of collateral effects from tattoos. Is there a tattoo process that can be safe? NO
Which is why we have informed consent; the same goes for just about any minor medical procedure or pharmaceutical.

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote