Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
brad
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Is there any bagpipery in Bozeman, MT?

Hi All
Daughter is going to be in Bozeman MT for the summer.
Anybody know if there is any piping in the area?

Brad
brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
John Blunt
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Is there any bagpipery in Bozeman, MT?

Wow, you're kind of in the hole of a very big donut. There is piping in Missoula, Great Falls, Billings, Helena and Kalispell, but I'm not familiar with any other in western Montana. All the places mentioned above are a fair way from Bozeman. Hey, Montana pipers, anything closer?

JMB
John Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

I've already been in contact with Brad, and gotten him in contact with the PM of the closest band, but for general information here is what is going on in the state as far as piping and pipe bands (at least as far as I'm aware, and if I'm missing something, please let me know).

There are currently pipe bands located in the following towns/areas:
Anaconda The Anaconda AOH Pipes and Drum Corp
Billings Caledonian Pipes and Drums of Billings
Great Falls Great Falls Pipe Band
Helena Pipes & Drums of the Black Devils
Kalispell Montana Highlanders Association Bagpipe Band
Miles City Miles City Caledonian Dancers-Pipe Band
Missoula Celtic Dragon Pipe Band

There are also individual pipers scattered around the state who aren't affiliated with any of the bands, but I've been having a hard time tracking them down to get their contact info.

At the moment there are only two highland games with piping competitions in the state, Kilt o' the Falls in Great Falls in June and the Bitterroot Highland Games and Gathering in Hamilton in August. I also try to setup an indoor solo competition in the fall in Great Falls, but it just depends on interest if it happens or not.

Since this post will become dated at some point as bands come and go, you can also check here for a listing of all of the pipers I'm aware of in Montana at any given time. The link will take you to the Montana Piper's Society webpage, which is a group setup to bring in workshops, setup and run competitions, and facilitate networking amongst the far flung piping community in our rather large state. If you happen to live in Montana, and you want more information or to get your information added to the site, please use the contact form on the mtpipers.org site or send me a PM here and I will be in contact with you.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
hmgreenwood
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Excellent information! I always struggle with chanter tuning when I play in Montana....screechingly sharp high A's and G's. Any reed selection advice?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hmgreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
AndrewMac
Forum Regular

Greetings, Brad.

Eric Fendler (try looking him up on FB if you are on that social media giant) is a piper who lives in the Gallatin Valley. I know that there are other pipers in the area, but have been out of the PB flow of things for several years, now, so do not know where most of those people are physically located, and if any are still playing. There used to be a PB in Helena, but that is in a major ebb stage, now, and I do not know if they still meet. The Hibernians of the Anaconda and Butte area have a pipe band, as well. Next closest location to Bozeman is Billings, about 150 miles to the east. The Billings Caledonians are still active, and typically play for a parade in Livingston around the 4th of July. Livingston is just 30-some miles to the east of Bozeman, off of Interstate 90. I hope that your daughter can locate some folks. There are other organized pipe bands in Montana, notably in Miles City, Missoula, Great Falls and Kalispell, but all are a fair jaunt away from Bozeman.

Celtic Hiker seems to have been pretty thorough with the information. Several things did occur to me, while reading back through, though. The Great Scots is another pipe band, located around the town of Polson, about midway between Kalispell and Missoula. There are also PB presence at gatherings, parades and games throughout the state during the summer. I highly recommend the Ennis Rodeo Parade on the 4th of July. There have been Celtic events in the past in June in Great Falls, Missoula in July and Hamilton (Bitterroot Valley) in August if your daughter is up for traveling a bit on the weekends and seeing the sights.

Last edited by AndrewMac; 05-25-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: saw a previous post with much of the same info
AndrewMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMac View Post
The Great Scots is another pipe band, located around the town of Polson, about midway between Kalispell and Missoula. There are also PB presence at gatherings, parades and games throughout the state during the summer. I highly recommend the Ennis Rodeo Parade on the 4th of July. There have been Celtic events in the past in June in Great Falls, Missoula in July and Hamilton (Bitterroot Valley) in August if your daughter is up for traveling a bit on the weekends and seeing the sights.

Last I heard, from one of their members, the Great Scots band was no longer functional, but as always, they may come back?

The games in Great Falls and Hamilton are the only ones with piping competition, but there are now lots of Highland games throughout the state, but they are mainly focused on the heavy athletics and some clan tents.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
AndrewMac
Forum Regular

Makes sense to me, CelticHiker, regarding the Great Scots. They had played and marched in past St. Paddy's Day parades in Butte America, but I saw no pictures and heard no reports of their presence there this year.
AndrewMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
PNB
Forum Regular

Wish I had seen this when posted. I live in Billings but work out of Bozeman during the week. Back into piping after a approx. 10 year hiatus. Back up on pipes again and enjoying them. Funny what has returned to the brain after the layoff. Fun learning new tunes again. I did teach for awhile years ago.