Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
736dave
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 736dave Send a message via Yahoo to 736dave
Default Re: UPiper on the IPhone and Technopipes

The UPiper sounds are the best. But the user experience is pretty bad. I think they were trying to be fancy. It might be difficult or impossible to navigate with and audio interface.
736dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA

Dave, regarding user experience - are you sure about that? How is it bad in your opinion? Maybe some examples / clarifications if you don't mind. I like more vividity and less conciseness that's just my style. Voiceover is a feature built right into the IWhatever, it's not a separate app. Note however this will alter your gestures in that you will have to quickly double-tap the surface in order to accomplish the same thing as a touch. That's why Eskin's apps aren't compatible. But do they have Technopipe support? I'd be interested to know. In the land of Voiceover, touching once will just take you to that area on the screen without activating say a button or a slider. Or maybe I just need some visual assistance, but again I don't have a roommate but I do have a few Technopipe owners among my six piping friends (six? That's small). However none of them have heard of Upiper before, I introduced one of them to the app and he uses an Iphone. I'd rather not disclose their names for sake of offense.
Michael Kazmierski Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #13
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

(Sarcastic) Wonderful! UPiper does NOT work with Voiceover! Dave, you're right. What am I gonna do now? My dad knows nothing about the Iphone, since he'll help me set up the IRig this weekend. I'll bet one of you can do me a favor and contact the developer and encourage them to make it compatible with Voiceover, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

UPDATE::::: I don't have the cable yet, but I managed to get it going with a friend's help. Only thing is, Voiceover just doesn't read it. From what I remember it's some sort of Terms of Service to which you must agree to start the app. But then this sort-of gets me back to where I started: considering that I don't have a roommate - if I can't start it on my own - what now? I'm very sorry I sort-of screamed about it not being Voiceover-friendly, but as a blind person, the very first thing, over all else, is to check whether or not it works with Voiceover. Failing that, in the case of Upiper, we're going to have to rely on people there just to help us, but what if that can't always happen? My sister suggested me to contact Upiper and tell them about the situation. Do you agree or not with this? Anyway, again sorry for that screaming - maybe I should have said it in a more gentle way. Thanks and I'll tell you how it goes with the Midi cable hooked up to my Technopipes.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
736dave
Forum Regular

I think that all of us (not just the visually impaired) would benefit from the uPiper team engaging a 'user experience' expert to help them re-jig their user interface.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just plug-in-and-play?

I now have an iPhone 5 and can no longer use my old iRig and uPiper as a sound-box.

Another use, for me, would be to share tunes with the band, using ABC Notation in the cloud. Maybe if this becomes possible, I will begin to champion the uPiper cause.

Until then, I will just wait and see.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #16
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Dave
I think they make the IRig for the Iphone 5. What type of Lightning is it? Is it the long and somewhat rectangular one, or is it the tiny what looks like a Mini USB? For your IPhone 5 specifically. My IPhone 6s has the Mini USB style.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #17
736dave
Forum Regular

It's the mini, but given how often I used the old one, it is not worth the extra $ outlay for me.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #18
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Alright! I managed to get UPiper going! My Dad came to my dorm and brought the IRig, and I originally thought that the Irig was just a cable that goes from Lightning to Midi. It actually has a tiny box which has a few Midi ports on it, as well as others. My dad said that the connection for the Lightning cable was the most difficult and he advised I leave it connected - good advice. So I plug my Technopipe in to Midi, and there is no sound! What? He said that Upiper said "Error", although he didn't read it out loud to me. He also was sort-of saying it out loud as he selected Irig pro, so I could understand what he was doing. Bare in mind that he has no Iphone experience whatsoever. At first he only saw the Degers and the Generic Midi chanter, no Redpipes or Technopipes. So I tried it again, and first thing I hear is a brief High G together with the drones going without the strike-in sound. When I play low A for the drones, nothing happens. When I play E, everything starts, drones and chanter together, with no strikein sound. Ok, maybe it's set to the wrong configuration. He put it on Technopipe Ghb when he saw it after delving through it further, and the drones and chanter behaved the same as they did for some reason. Also he had to lower the latency setting to as low as it could go, because, even though he is completely unmusical, he did notice the delay, and so did I, which made playing greps and taorluaths sort-of arduous for lack of a better word. So now here I am in my dorm on my own, just plug them in, fire up Upiper and start playing, is what I do. However, I'd like to know if the drones situation can be remedied? I.e. You play Low A and the drones strike in, then you play E and the chanter comes in? I'd really like to experience that wonderful sound, especially the out-of-tune pitches anticipating the drones locking in with each other. On the appstore, in the History section, one of the features is, Drones startup taken into account with Ghb. Really? I don't notice it, and I have the latest version. Oh well, maybe talk to that friend of mine who has a Technopipe, maybe he and I can fiddle around with the settings. Yes, Voiceover is still "dead" when Upiper is active. Gracious! So that's just my $.02 worth.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #19
tenthpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Hows it going there Michael with your setup? ?
Old 06-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don't know if Michael is still on the forums, but for posterity, I know what the problem was.

When you plug the midi cable into the technopipes, the first step is to put the technopipes into midi mode. Hold the two control studs and finger the low g and low a studs. Then finger E.

I just got "USB MIDI Cable Interface, OIBTECH Upgrade Professional MIDI to USB IN-OUT Cable Converter For PC/Mac/Laptop 2M(6.5FT) (RED)" and "Baymic Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, 4 in 1 SD/TF Card Reader, Trail Game Camera Card Viewer Reader, Micro SD Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Cable for iPhone X 8 7 6 Plus and iPad, Plug and Play" from Amazon for about $40 total. The first is a midi to usb cable. The second is usb to lightning. There are cheaper alternatives for the second, but this one has a lightning in so that I can power the ipad while using it.