Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Default Wrist trouble and positioning

Howdy!! I have been having trouble with my left wrist hurting after playing my dear smallpipes for a few minutes. It doesn't always happen but does so more frequently these days. I've tried holding the chanter in different positions but to no avail. I did find temporary relief when I turned the chanter a bit to the right in the stock but that hasn't proven consistently helpful either. I have had a lot of hand and wrist issues in the past, mostly tendonitis. Do any of you have suggestions? Thanks, all!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: wrist trouble and positioning

I can’t help but wonder if there is unnecessary tension somewhere. Are they not holding themselves up and so you’re left hand is having to do double duty? Is it mouthblown or bellows blown?

A video is worth a million words.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Put a bit of tape over your high A hole and spend a few minutes playing with your left thumb not touching. Does this help?
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Where is the pain in your wrist and do you have any numbness or tingling in your fingers? If yes, which ones?

Take a look at your wrist while playing. Is it relaxed and relatively straight? If not, you might want to try not tucking the bag so far under your arm, or alternately tucking it a bit further to get your wrist into a better position.

This kind of thing can be hard to manage, especially if there are old injuries contributing to it.

Good luck figuring it out.
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks, all!! These are some good ideas. I have noticed that my wrist isn't quite straight. The pain is just below the base of the thumb and a bit toward the back of the hand from that. I will try these suggestions and see what happens. Again, thanks!!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Do you play with your pinkie straight or curled and relaxed?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Wrist trouble and positioning

Pay attention to where your arm contacts the bag, too. Having your wrist pressing against the bag can be a source of tension/compression.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
KeithAlex344
Forum Member

I have this same issue with my shuttle pipes, but strangely not with my GHB's. For me I think it's the bag size and/or cut. I think maybe the chanter sits quite low and I have to reach for it. I don't mess with them too much, but second the motion to try the bag in different positions farther forward ect... also maybe try hand stretches. Some good ones on YouTube. Hope you get it figured! Comfort it is key.
KeithAlex344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks, all, for your kind help!! I have been trying different positions and that does seem to help some. I have a gig this Saturday, playing for a half hour prior to our St. Andrew's banquet. Short practices have been going better so hopefully my wrist will be up to the test!!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:16 PM   #10
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post
I have been having trouble with my left wrist hurting after playing my dear smallpipes…
Bellows?

My Scottish smallpipes are mouthblown, and I find them much more ergonomic than bellows-blown SSPs.

It's odd because I've been playing uilleann pipes for 40 years and don't find them uncomfortable in the least.

But put bellows on Scottish pipes and they seem strange and uncomfortable.