Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Sound proofing a room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post

The cost would be prohibitive ($500ish a month), but I searched around craigslist for a while, and I was lucky enough to come across a band that was offering the ability to share the time in the room there were renting. I jumped on it, and I essentially get to take about 1/4 of the monthly time in the space, and pay 1/4 the cost (~$100 a month).
That's really cool!

Along those lines, music stores (i.e., guitar stores) frequently have small practice rooms where people teach lessons. The teacher gives the store a small part of the fee in exchange for the space. If the store didn't have teachers booking all the available time they might be inclined to let the space out to an individual for practicing.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
Best way is to wear ear plugs that way you can't hear your neighbor!
Only trouble there, you can't hear the cops knocking on your door as a result. I've heard cops get a little peeved when you don't answer the door in a timely manner.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #13
tattoocrassy
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I live in a loft inside a warehouse that has no noise ordinance technically I have no restriction on how loud I am or when I play. My neighbor is also a musician who runs a plumber business out of his place. Been told he complains about every thing and to ignore him and do as I please. Thanks for the recommendations
tattoocrassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #14
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

In that case, if you have the space, build a shed inside your space, atop rubber isolators. Insulate all sides, top and bottom. build a entrance air lock with two doors. The most difficult part will be getting ventilation in and out. If you built chases with insulation, air entry at the top and exhaust of each chase at the bottom, it might be fairly sound resistant, especially coupled with distance form the "sensitive receptor". It also would give you a place to go when he fires up his metal band next door.