Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #71
Robin73
Forum Member

Default Re: 3/4 issue revisited

Gordon Bell, you are confusing me!

It all seemed so clear from your bass drum video, but then I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRggJNYXOZA

It seems that unless you are going for a very specific syncopation effect, your snare part is one beat ahead of the tune, in the very way some of us have been expressing our concern about. However, I notice that you say before you play "OK we'll do it with the two beat E."

So it looks like you are so skilled that you can conform to the erroneous version if you choose, but why would you do so when you clearly show a different emphasis in your other video? Have you accepted defeat on this? Or just trying to make the most of a bad situation?

(obviously not actually addressed to Gordon in this instance, although come to think of it I might email him about this...)

Oh, and today I saw a very experienced band leader very emphatically stressing the pick-up of each line with his feet for the benefit of the band. Like this version was actually deeply embedded in his body. I'm thinking these guys must actually be hearing a different tune to me!?

Last edited by Robin73; 10-03-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Robin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 AM   #72
Robin73
Forum Member

I have done a great deal of campaigning on this issue in the last couple of weeks. One post I wrote on the Pipers and Drummers FB group page got over 50 likes and some in depth discussion.

I've also posted in the Army School of Bagpipe Music and Highland Drumming (UK) and instigated useful dialogue.

I know many people believe this is a lost cause, but I don't want to accept defeat. The only way I can see to get it changed is relentless campaigning and not taking no for an answer until it's properly addressed by the people who's job it is to address it. Until then, it's our job to get them to listen.

Has anyone else been up to much on this front? Any suggestions for collective or individual actions we could take in the near future?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #73
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I’d see it as a ‘lost cause’....becuz.....1) of historical application, 2) lack of 3/4 Police to enforce that’s it’s done ‘right’ globally ..whichever the agreed dictum, ..if ever,3) how’d we manage to survive thus far?, 4) apparently insufficient competent resources care to address the perceived infractions by others competent and incompetent .

There are probably a few more blades on this windmill.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #74
Robin73
Forum Member

El gaitero,

Maybe you could join the cause, rather than disparaging it?

We are, after all, talking about the bastardization of an ancient tradition and the perpetuation of musical ignorance.

How did we get this far? The tunes sound great IN SPITE of not BECAUSE of the incorrect placing of the beatings. This is because the tunes are amazing and the pipes and players and drum parts are amazing, and at least the pulse is correct.

So much talent playing these beautiful tunes with such precision and skill on finely made instruments in marvelous formations. It's like baking an amazing cake and then overcooking it.

Once you hear the tunes played correctly a couple of times, you will understand. And believe.

Never mind windmills, what about the Emperor's new Retreat? Open your ears and join the cause. Do your part to make it right.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #75
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Donít worry....Iím right behind youíall...all the way...Charge....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #76
Robin73
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Donít worry....Iím right behind youíall...all the way...Charge....
Something tells me that you have not actually looked into this matter with an open mind, but prefer to assume all is well and mock those who challenge your established view point.

I would be fascinated to hear your rebuttal based on factual and musical analysis rather than just the "appeal to tradition" argument.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #77
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Robin would you be able to list the links to those places where you have got a discussion going so that we could contribute and add to what you're saying?
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #78
Robin73
Forum Member

Hi Heatherbelle,

The main place where it got noticed was a FB page called "pipers and drummers" with over 8,000 members.

I can't share the link directly, but the post was made on the 6th October. If you visit the page and scroll down some way you should be able to find it by date.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:31 AM   #79
Robin73
Forum Member

Turns out I can share the link directly, along with the comments thread, by right-clicking the time-stamp on the post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2971...9682734406279/