Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-09-2017, 06:11 AM   #11
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Default Re: Old/New Piper - returning to piping

Hi Tim, we’re on similar journeys...

Had 20 yearss out, but back for a year and now aged 64...my hasn’t the world moved on?

I cocncur with almost all the advice above....and having tried 4 or 5 diferent kinds of drone reeds cannot recommend Selbie highly enough.

I had chance to drop into Neil’s shop a few weeks ago (only 525 miles from home!) and he couldn’t do enough for me...set up my drones while I watched and they’re the silkiest I’ve ever had over 50 years, smooth as velvet.

Lips and chest muscles improving but still working on it....it helps having my old band to return to, giving lots of inspiration to keep at it and a degree of mutual competition rears up and urges improvement too.

Welcome back; it was one of last year’s better decisions, imho
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Iím more like 3352 miles from his shop....but happy to say Iíve set up several dozen sets of Selbie reeds...mainly in Mccallum pipes...No worries and great results for newbies and more experienced pipers alike.

Keep it up Neil.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #13
Tim Flood
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and advice.

As an update, I will be starting lessons next Tuesday evening at The College of Wooster Music Dept. under the instruction of Mr. Palmer Shonk.

Tim
Tim Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Iím more like 3352 miles from his shop....but happy to say Iíve set up several dozen sets of Selbie reeds...mainly in Mccallum pipes...No worries and great results for newbies and more experienced pipers alike.

Keep it up Neil.
After almost 4 decades of piping, I've pretty much settled on Selbie drone reeds (and I'm also thousands of miles from his shop) as giving me the best sound and the least trouble on my particular set-up ( older pipes, older chanters, pitched at or about B flat). I have yet to find a synthetic chanter reed that works well for me, though- other than a McLaren which seems to suit an no-name Indian A chanter I picked up for $25.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #15
Tim Flood
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

My pipe instructor told me to purchase standard Ezee drone reeds and Husk chanter reeds. I got an easy/medium and a medium. These drones work great in my pipes and I am now playing again!

Tim
Tim Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Old/New Piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Flood View Post
However, it turns out there are none in my area. I have been practicing with my practice chanter, which hasn't gone too bad. Of course an instructor would probably call my efforts horrible.

Tim
I recently helped a piper get back at it after about a 10 year layoff. I only had to give her about 3 or 4 lessons, and she was right back on track. She had a couple of issues that I helped her deal with, but nothing too serious. I certainly wouldn't call her "efforts horrible". She's doing great now.

Have you considered Skype?

Cheers,
Scot.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #17
Chris C.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
I have yet to find a synthetic chanter reed that works well for me, though- other than a McLaren which seems to suit an no-name Indian A chanter I picked up for $25.
I have a Clanrye that works well in my 1982 Hardie and 1980 Lawrie chanters (they're A=466 chanters). The E is a tiny bit flat. But the reed works. No fussing with heat or moisture changes. For someone getting back into piping, it makes life easier -- there's enough to deal with concerning fingering, breathing, etc. etc.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote