Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA
Default Pipers in the Watertown / Boston area (Massachusetts)

Hi everyone!
So, first of all, even though I'm from Michigan, I am going to be attending a program based in the Watertown / Boston area of Massachusetts starting on January 15th and ending sometime in May. This is a program for the blind called "Career Launch", which helps those blind people looking for employment gain their necessary skills required to be a great job candidate. (I just graduated from Alma College in May 2018).
Considering that literally the only required hours are from 9 to 5 every day (except on weekends); given that other than practicing my pipes in the dorms of this training center as long as it's not quiet hours I'll be bored after the workday; and also given that I'll only have my local friends to communicate with electronically; I'm wondering if there are any pipers here on the Forum who live in the area of Watertown / Boston so that I can at least have something to do outside of work hours and have piping jam sessions with some people. Most of the outings they have scheduled are concerts or maybe movies, and I am honestly not the biggest fan of concerts or movies. Also, if the only bands in the area are lower grade ones, I won't have a problem with that (even if I'm a grade 2 solo piper myself).
One issue I must address before I end here: On my old account which still exists, I used my current Gmail address. Because this one is already used for this account I used my college email address for this account, but the problem is that this one has expired. So, in effect, I never get any notifications on the Forums whatsoever, ever since the address had expired. So, if anyone is willing to contact me other ways, I would appreciate that. I can manually chek this thread for replies, but to me that might be a bit more time consuming because I don't have the luxury of receiving a notification (given that my college address has expired).
So, I'm not afraid to send out my info here. My Facebook is:
https://www.facebook.com/michael.kazmierski.9
And my current Gmail address is:
Bagpiper023@gmail.com
Again, sure you can reply here right on the thread, but I won't get immediate notifications and will have to check it manually.
Thanks for your cooperation!

Michael
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
SPCsound
Forum Member

Default Re: Pipers in the Watertown / Boston area (Massachusetts)

You may wish to check out the Canadian American Club, also in Watertown. They have a number of regular Cape Breton, Irish, and Quebecois sessions.
SPCsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pipers in the Watertown / Boston area (Massachusetts)

Definitely check out the Canadian American Club there in Watertown, as was mentioned. It’s a nice little hidden gem. Lots of get-togethers relating to Scottish and Celtic music there.

I used to live in Brookline, but moved out to Salem a couple years ago. Also, I’m going to be out of the area starting in two weeks, and I’ll be away through the end of March. I travel for gigs sometimes, so I’ll playing down in Florida during that time.

I would seriously recommend Commonwealth Pipes and Drums. They used to be called Kevin Barry .. but decided to change their name recently.

They’re based in Melrose, which will be right near you. I compete solo at same level you do (in light music anyhow), and I’m new at competing, so I’m keeping myself away from pipe bands right now so I can focus on my solo stuff.

Anyway, if I was looking to join anyone at all, it would be Commonwealth. I’ve been approached by lots of bands since I started competing solo, including some grade 3 and 2 bands. In terms of proximity and quality of atmosphere, Commonwealth is the one I would choose.

You’d have a blast with them. I have lots and lots of dear friends in that group, and they’ve been in a fast moving upward direction since they started a few years ago. They are currently grade 4, but in my opinion, they’re closing in on another upgrade (if they want one) really fast. They were upgraded from 5 for 2019, and won the Grade 4 contest at Loon, which is open of the biggest contests in the region. They play up at Maxville usually too ... can’t remember their results, but I know they did well.

Side note, the drum corps play deep sounding rope-style drums ... the ones usually found in fife bands and the like. In short, it sounds AWESOME.

So they’re a tremendously fun group of folks, who also take the music seriously, and play very impressively because of it. I don’t need to tell you how rare that combination is.

Anyway, for highland piping cool people near you ... seriously consider contacting them. You’ll thank yourself for it.

I leave for Florida on Jan 29, so I’m around for a week and a half before I head south. If you wanna met up and talk tunes/pipes etc ... email me at nate@nate-silva.com

Welcome to the Hub!

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 01-20-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote