Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-25-2020, 03:12 AM   #1
VerdeValleyPiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Tuning D on chanter

My high and low A are great but now I'm having an issue with D being sharp, I have a Campbell tunable band chanter pitching at 481, I'm a solo player so tuning is extremely important, any help would be appreciated !!
VerdeValleyPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-25-2020, 03:37 AM   #2
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Tuning d on chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeValleyPiper View Post
My high and low A are great but now I'm having an issue with D being sharp, I have a Campbell tunable band chanter pitching at 481, I'm a solo player so tuning is extremely important, any help would be appreciated !!
Get a bit insulation tape and put it straight (i.e. absolutely perpendicular to the line of the chanter) across the D hole. Start about 1mm down from the top of the D hole, test it against your ear or tuner and adjust in nano increments to perfect it. Up to sharpen, down to flatten
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

What Mac said. And don't let some nincompoop tell you not to use tape. I've known more than a few around who claim they need no tape ever...riiiiiiiiight! (yes, once or twice, I did have a chanter that needed no tape at a given moment; but that's very rare). We have all our band members with tape above each hole so that we can tune on the field (i.e., not having to run back to the pipe case to get tape).
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Tuning D on chanter

Exactly what the others have suggested and said!

When your High A and Low A are great, tuning a note that is sharp is a relatively easy fix with some tape.....tuning a note that is flat can be more difficult because tape will only make it worse.

Jenni
Old 02-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #5
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Tuning D on chanter

As you probably know D is often the least stable note on a chanter, the note that varies most with changes in blowing pressure.

Also once in a blue moon I've had a D where putting tape on it didn't change the pitch! You could adjust the tape further and further down and the pitch of D stubbornly stayed sharp. Not until I got around 3/4 of the hole covered did the pitch go down, but with (as you might imagine) bad tone quality, and very unstable.

But unless there's something freaky like that, and assuming your blowing is even, using tape to cover a small portion of the upper side of the hole should bring down the pitch enough to fix it.

I should once again recommend the Braw Tuner phone app. It's by far the best tuning thing I've seen.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
I've known more than a few around who claim they need no tape ever...
There was a piper here who rose through the ranks in solos to the Open level, and who won at least one Silver Chanter, who never put any tape on his chanter.

Recall there was a time not all that long ago that putting tape on chanters was unheard of.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
There was a piper here who rose through the ranks in solos to the Open level, and who won at least one Silver Chanter, who never put any tape on his chanter.

Recall there was a time not all that long ago that putting tape on chanters was unheard of.

Probably played a RedPipes chanter. Iíve heard they donít need tape.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post

Probably played a RedPipes chanter. Iíve heard they donít need tape.
Either that or his was reeded and tuned at the factory before shipped to him...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

I remember those days well, tape on the chanter was unheard of. I also remember my shock in the late 1990s at seeing Bill Livingstone's chanter with almost every hole taped, thinking (foolishly) that he needed to buy a new chanter. Nowadays most of my chanter holes, are taped, too.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post

I remember those days well, tape on the chanter was unheard of.

Yes....in those days of yore all chanters came pre-flattened....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote