Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #1
Gavin Patterson
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bridles for eezedrone GHB drone reeds

I am trying to set up my older pipes as a backup. They have 15 yr old eezedrone reeds and I think the rubber bridles are kind of “tired”. Any suggestions for fabricating replacements from early available materials?
Gavin Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-25-2020, 04:50 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bridles for eezedrone GHB drone reeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Patterson View Post
I am trying to set up my older pipes as a backup. They have 15 yr old eezedrone reeds and I think the rubber bridles are kind of “tired”. Any suggestions for fabricating replacements from early available materials?
You can buy a new set ...very reasonable...Northwest Bagpipe Supply...<$75 shipped.
I was able some years ago to obtain a small batch of OEM replacement bridles from the maker. They were very difficult to put on...the shop process uses a plier like device with 4 small fingers at the end so when you squeeze the handles the fingers would stretch open the rubber bridle to fit on. It’s the same tool used to castrate young sheep etc with a rubber ring. Of course I didn’t have one...so I improvised by rolling the bridle onto a pencil.. mated it with the reed and rolled the bridle on. I worked up a good bit of a sweat doing so. Not recommended.

If you go with O rings as replacements they’ll need to be very small ...about half the diameter of the reed body. Good luck getting them on.
Buying new reeds is well worth it. Tying on string bridles ...might work maybe ...but not sure you’ll get the adequate and uniform tight fit.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Patterson View Post
I think the rubber bridles are kind of “tired”.

It's not just the bridles, the tongues fatigue as well.

For a bridle, you can tie a hemp bridle just as you would for a cane reed. One nice thing about doing this is you can control the tension on the bridle quite easily.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
fredolin
Forum Silver Medal

I have replaced several bridals of Ezee drone deeds by a piece of silicone tube. Flexible silicone tube works well!
Very cheap, and the reeds I have modified behaved like a new reed 👍😀
Just give it a try.
fredolin is offline   Reply With Quote