Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Fyrfytr
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Pipe bag/ chanter position

Has anyone ever cut their pipe bag chanter sleeve shorter and tied in their chanter stock on a hybrid bag so that their chanter sits higher out in front of them?
Fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pipe bag/ chanter position

Why not just tie in the stock higher? Nothing says it had to be tied in at the very end of the neck.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
Fyrfytr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
Why not just tie in the stock higher? Nothing says it had to be tied in at the very end of the neck.
Ok Iíll do that I just know the sleeve will start to cover the top of the chanter but I guess it doesnít matter as long as it doesnít cover the holes ha ha
Old 05-23-2020, 04:28 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrfytr View Post

Has anyone ever cut their pipe bag chanter sleeve shorter and tied in their chanter stock on a hybrid bag so that their chanter sits higher out in front of them?
How tall are you? What size bag?

Are you perchance errantly pushing the bag ( chanter) down too low in front of you ..instead of holding it Ďlevelí or even help upwards a bit?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:18 AM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I have not. Depending on the make of bag, this sounds like it could make the chanter stick out more horizontally and thus would require more effort for you to hold it vertically.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
Fyrfytr

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
How tall are you? What size bag?

Are you perchance errantly pushing the bag ( chanter) down too low in front of you ..instead of holding it Ďlevelí or even help upwards a bit?
Iím 5í9Ē I have a wmc hybrid that is like an extended small Iím just trying to find if there is a more comfortable position for my chanter. Not that it isnít comfortable now but Iím trying to find the best position. I will keep trying new things
Old 05-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Iím 5í9Ē I have a wmc hybrid that is like an extended small Iím just trying to find if there is a more comfortable position for my chanter. Not that it isnít comfortable now but Iím trying to find the best position. I will keep trying new things
The WMC is a great bag,albeit for me at 6' with ca 34" sleeve length I found the chanter to be scrunched 'too close' owing to the blowstick stock collar being pushed forward an inch or so vs the traditional bannatyne bag positioning.
If your bottom hand is at ~ belt buckle height or a touch higher as you may like,...regrets I'm at a loss to grasp the issue you're having.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote