Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #41
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Tone Protector vs. Pipers Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley G View Post
If there are figures then produce them to justify the gross expense. While I wait for this I will just suck on my reeds as per the advice of JL. His piping medals and awards are recommendation enough for me pending something more credible.
Here's what I know: I am a professional grade piper, and it's been working well for me.
Grade 1 bands around the world, Simon Fraser and your cited Jack Lee included, are using it.
So, in short, pipers a lot better than either of us (including Callum Beaumont, Iain Speirs, Alasdair Dunn, just to name a few) are using them and sure seem to think that they work.

So, you keep on sucking your reeds, and I will keep having success with my toneprotector and we will all go home happy.
Jack
Old 10-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #42
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhawkpiper97 View Post
Here's what I know: I am a professional grade piper, and it's been working well for me.
Grade 1 bands around the world, Simon Fraser and your cited Jack Lee included, are using it.
So, in short, pipers a lot better than either of us (including Callum Beaumont, Iain Speirs, Alasdair Dunn, just to name a few) are using them and sure seem to think that they work.

So, you keep on sucking your reeds, and I will keep having success with my toneprotector and we will all go home happy.
Jack
Amen.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #43
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Some have noted mold from the piper’s pal. I’m curious if this is caused by the rubber plug? I wonder if it would work the same way as a TP if the bottom was left open?

As far as the science goes, it seems to me the TP and PP are simply addressing the kinetics. Just because the air is 100% RH doesn’t mean the reed is saturated. The kinetics, or speed of adsorption/(or absorption?) seems to be the factor these devices are addressing.

Licking probably results in an uneven distribution of slobber. In my case I’ve actually noticed licked reeds drying out as I play them, so I added too much moisture. I’ve taken to just silently mouthblowing the reed before playing, maybe 30 s - 1 min. Results are variable as to warm up time from none to the same as usual, 10 min or so. I haven’t done any quantifiable experiments.

As I ponder I wonder about temperature. RH is relative because of it’s relationship to temperature. 100% RH at a lower temperature could be the dew point for a higher temperature, where that amount of moisture was only 50% of what the air could really hold. Of course, we might expect the temp of the air exiting your body to be fairly constant providing some sort of reference, though that’s quickly corrupted by ambient conditions.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM   #44
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hahahaha. Yeah,..youíre right...donít overthink it.
I think Silent mouth blowing as you do ( me too) and playing in will do it for much of BDF contributors.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote