Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

Default APC Presents - the Modern Pibroch Library

Wanted to let you know, we posted in Announcements the release of our new Alt Pibroch Club site, the Modern Pibroch Library.

Every year we plan on releasing new pibroch compositions representing what we believe are the best of the New Ceol Mor.

Our editorial board selected six compositions for 2018.

They are available for listening and purchase at mpl.altpibroch.com

Happy New Year!
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-27-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: APC Presents - the Modern Pibroch Library

It would be seriously good if people gave the pieces a listen (at least six times each recommended!) and then we had a discussion here about each of them. I suspect the majority won't like most of them, although I might (hopefully) be wrong. For instance Jordan Alexander Key's piece will sound 'out of tune' until you realise he asks for a retuning of the bagpipe and the piece uses microtones. It took me about four listenings right through it, to get used to the sounds, and since then, I love it and keep listening to it. There's very little traditional piobaireachd, - it's a bit like within an old piobaireachd house, you find a boxroom up on the top floor, go into it and open the window, and this is what you see. Niche, minority, but for a small number of people, a wondrous breath of fresh air. So very interesting to see and hear what the word 'pibroch' suggests to people out in the wider musical world.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I haven’t listened yet, but will add that at one time all the “old” piobaireachds were modern and may have grated against views of the traditional. That has not diminished their value.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

I also find Lisa Robertson's piece eye-opening. You would know from looking at the score, but listening it is initially difficult to discern the different motions (including taorluath and crunluath). And yet, the more I listen, the more creative and intelligent that composer is. She's a new marvel to me, and I wish she would become instantly famous:

www.lisarobertsonmusic.com.
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderntraditional View Post
I also find Lisa Robertson's piece eye-opening. You would know from looking at the score, but listening it is initially difficult to discern the different motions (including taorluath and crunluath). And yet, the more I listen, the more creative and intelligent that composer is. She's a new marvel to me, and I wish she would become instantly famous:

www.lisarobertsonmusic.com.

As well as Piobaireachd piece selected for the Modern Pibroch Library, have a listen to the 'Birl' piece on her own site. It's brilliant. For me it reminded me of a teacher trying to help me with playing steady even triplets. I remember she said change the rhythm, instead of steady, play jagged dotted rhythm, then try sloth slow, then try New York fast, then play them one handed, then two handed, overlap them, sing them, dance them, walk them, dream them, do them all ways, and only finally, come back to play them the way they're written. It really gave me something to think about. It let me get inside the damn things, explore the notes from within. Pause and think about what the heck I was doing. And importantly, she said, don't do all these things all at once - take a month to it -six months -a year. Pause and think. What is it you're doing?

Lisa Robertson's piece 'Birl' made me think all this and I enjoyed the thinking and it hasn't stopped yet.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well I have had a listen to them all at least twice. The first thing that I want all to remember is just how hard it is to compose a piobaireachd tune. I have tried it twice and produced two real stinkers. They are the equivalent of a very nasty eructation where one wonders "did that ghastly thing come out of ME?" Light music is soo much easier to compose. Having to come up with an Urlar and then find the theme notes that work for variations is tough. Then to work out which variations work is also quite hard to do. The timing is tough too as I at least keep wanting to migrate into beats rather than pulses. Oh, did I mention that keeping the tune in the same key is a brute too.

All of these composers did a great job sticking close to the idiom and all of the pieces have a good deal of creativity and in their own way charm. Even the avant garde ones were intriguing, Much nicer than Stockhausen. These tunes have soul and probably took a long time to compose. One doesn't come up with music like this just whistling in the shower in the morning. It takes real talent

I do have a minor gripe, there are some of these tunes that have more than one musician playing or singing and I would really like to know who all of the performers are. It is probably listed somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Many thanks to altpiobroch for doing this. I hope it keeps up for many years to come

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Very cool, really enjoying listening to these.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote