Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Is it or isn't it?

To continue an earlier discussion-----
I wrote a Theme (Ground) in an irregular time signature, to appear at the beginning and again at the end of this piece (see below) I then wrote Variations.

Dithis with Drone - I followed the themal notes, and used the traditional Dithis Doubling dotted rhythm with repeated notes. There is continuous sound throughout the whole piece. The drone is represented by a guitar bottom string tuned down to low D.

Sorrow within, Seabirds without. This variation uses the harmony of the Ground, with seabird sounds on guitar. The 'no words' represents the bacterial lockjaw condition which befell the babies on St Kilda described in the paper which inspired the piece.

The Spinning Wheel will turn again (after Chedare) For this variation I sat with an artists sketch pad and drew chedare shapes for an afternoon, on and off manuscript, and in pencil and in colour. I experimented with, and changed the shapes. This variation represents the way in which after a shocking bereavement, sooner or later, life slowly resumes. At the end a slow spelling out of the first notes of a Crunluath movement.

Luath or 'fast' is about the angst and turmoil that death brings with it -amongst the heartrending tears- a laugh, a joke, or someone coming to the door with half a dozen eggs. Anything can happen.

In Memoriam a repeat of the Ground, with a perfect fifth then minor third strategically placed to emphasise pathos and grief, and to emphasise how those we lose are indelibly embedded in our minds and hearts.

So although no bagpipe and not a piobaireachd in the 'traditional' traditional sense, the ghost of a piobaireachd seems to be there like a shadow throughout. To me at least.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Is it or isn't it?

IIIIIIIIII...love it!
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Is it or isn't it?

The basic form of "theme and variation" goes very deep into the heart of the celtic idioms. It underpins everything we do, including music that may not be "properly" referred to as "piobaireachd," either because it's not pipe music or because it doesn't contain all the structures that we consider part of the modern form. The influence is still very much there.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote