Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Soda Shoppe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soda Shoppe For young pipers, drummers, and others not quite old enough for the beer tent.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
luismxpiper49
Forum Member

Default Playing while having a cold

hey there friends. again here. how are you all? well. so i caught a cold. its not not nice. but my question is. would there be much of a problem if i play the pipes while sick? my bag is a canmore syntetic. greetings!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Ian Lawther

Default Re: Playing while having a cold

I don't think you are going to cause any problems with the pipes, but my own experience is that when you have a cold your capacity to blow is decreased and you will just feel awful trying to play. Wiser to take a break and get well......
Ian Lawther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
Andrew Lenz

Just the thought of playing pipes with bad sinuses makes me wince. I'm getting over a cold now and the last thing I want to do is have additional pressure in my head!

I remember back when I was learning, my instructor would take whatever powerful cold drug he could get his hands on to be able to play as promised at a paid gig. But it wasn't the most comfortable and pleasant thing to do!

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

I've often found (although not with latest supercold I've caught) that playing the pipes helped me through a cold faster. It definitely helps in strengthening my lungs through the duration of the cold.

However, tuning is another story - usually my ears are plugged, so it's not perfect. Sneezing, coughing...yeah, I'm going back to bed.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I would suggest not playing while you're sick. I've had a cold since January 2nd, and am just now thinking about getting back on GHB. Unless you have to, it's probably counter-productive and frustrating because you will likely feel worse and things will not sound right to you ( even if they sound OK to other people).
Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

Now you have an excuse to drink plenty of fluids and give the pipes a rest.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
Steven Knox
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
I've often found ... that playing the pipes helped me through a cold faster.
+1 to this.
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Knox View Post
+1 to this.

1 tune,..1 Metaxa...or vice-versa,;YRMV
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

On the one hand, I've been fortunate to have the experience of having a great many paid gigs over the last several years. On the other hand, it also means that I've had to endure quite a few situations where, within reason, I had to play a gig whilst feeling ill.

No doubt about it, it's awful. And depending on what ales you, in my experience, playing highland pipes can make your condition considerably worse.

I distinctly remember a particularly nasty head cold I had a couple of years ago, and it hit during a series of four days in a row where I needed to play for extended periods. It was a 3-day holiday weekend (Columbus Day I think) plus one more event on Tuesday. For all four days, I played usually half hour stints, 4 to 5 times each day. Whenever I felt like I was improving (headache, body aches, fever, sore throat, etc), I of course would again need to play, after which I felt worse than I did in the first place.

By the start of the third day, the lymph nodes in my neck (just below my jaw) started to swell severely. The swelling became so bad that I had difficulty speaking (granted, I'm sure some people prefer me that way), and it was becoming nearly impossible for me to chew/swallow solid food.

I honestly don't know how the heck I survived all the way through the fourth day. I pulled it off, but I certainly wasn't the happier for it. I called out sick from my regular job for the remainder of the work week, as I had another full two days of playing that coming weekend.

By Friday, I felt mostly recovered, but the playing from the following weekend brought it all back. All-in-all, that illness stuck with me for the better part of a month.

That was probably the worst experience I ever had to deal with, but whenever I'm sick, playing highland pipes has proven to be one of the worst things I can do to my immediate health. So if you can avoid it, for your own sake, it's best to wait until you recover.

Cheers, and feel better soon!

Last edited by Pppiper; 01-20-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lawther View Post
I don't think you are going to cause any problems with the pipes, but my own experience is that when you have a cold your capacity to blow is decreased and you will just feel awful trying to play. Wiser to take a break and get well......
But what about the germs or whatever that I would think that you're blowing into the bag (just like breathing all over another person)? Definitely wiser to take that break and play your electronic chanter ...
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote