Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #11
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: First time jitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
Fully agree with all the above, but especially TF’s spot-on advice about tuning for what’s going to be a short performance.

I (and apparently the best part of 2500 others) will be playing tomorrow at 0600 local, just the one tune When the Battle’s O’er, to commemorate the signing of the Armistice at the end of the Great War 100 years ago.... given the expected weather conditions in our part of the world it would be crazy to tune after a full warm-up and then only play 2 minutes...

YEP! In my part of the world, It will be 29˚F when I play tomorrow at 0600, with a wind chill down to 19˚F . Still, it's an honor to particpate.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #12
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Agreed about the honour, Bob.

20 miles from the east coast of England we’re forecast a balmy 9C (48F) at 0600, surprisingly mild for mid November.

At risk of thread drift it’s good to hear folks on your side of the pond are signed up to this special event.... I’m surprised there hasn’t been a thread opened on the topic...
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #13
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Avoid caffeine on the morning of your gig.

Caffeine slows down the breakdown of adrenaline. If you’re nervous, your adrenaline levels will increase which will give you more jitters. The less adrenaline in your system, the less nervous you should be. Hence no caffeine.

The physiological principles are simple. I have tried it to some effect. Of course, it could be a placebo effect. What I have noticed is that I settle my nerves within a few minutes rather than longer.

Charlie
Old 11-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Bananas.

There's something about bananas that help with jitters, or at least someone said it once and now everyone believes it.

Stop by band tents at Games (at least out here) and you'll see everyone eating a banana an hour or two before contest time.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #15
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
Agreed about the honour, Bob.

20 miles from the east coast of England we’re forecast a balmy 9C (48F) at 0600, surprisingly mild for mid November.

At risk of thread drift it’s good to hear folks on your side of the pond are signed up to this special event.... I’m surprised there hasn’t been a thread opened on the topic...

Wait a few minutes and look in the Beer Tent
Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 AM   #16
OHpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

My time came and after a rocky start, I messed up a bit on the first line of Scotts Wha Ha'e, Amazing Grace was better. As some mentioned on another forum most in the church never heard the first song anyway... Overall I did get a little nervous, most of the time I tried not to look at people and it helped. My pipes sounded great, all the drones were in tune.
Thanks for all the advice! I believe it's a start. My second cousin was there and wants me to play Amazing Grace at her wedding next month..
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #17
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Well done on a successful first.... always a good milestone to pass.

I find the nerves never completely disppear but rationalise by telling myself if I wasn’t nervous I wouldn’t care, and every performance is important... a degree of tension focusses the mind on doing my best
Old 11-13-2018, 12:05 AM   #18
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Sunday has passed. How did it go for you?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:46 AM   #19
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Overall fine... a couple of bum notes and my chanter was flat but ended ok.
We were on local BBC news last night, Look East, still on BBC iPlayer, and on our Facebook page Norwich Pipe Band there's a public video of our later parade at Wymondham.... somehow muggins is frozen on screen at the start but I was left file second rank....vid sent in by unknown.
3 parades with an 0400 start is enough for one day
Old 11-13-2018, 04:56 AM   #20
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Bulletproofmusician.com

Noa Kageyama is a musician who helps deal with just this issue. He is starting to gain a following in the piping world. Check him out. Approachable, thoughtful fellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote