Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #11
Søren E. Larsen
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: New Ceol chanter?

Shawn,

The solo Naill - is it the new version or older one?

How about the Strathmore chanter?

Thanks, Soren.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:36 AM   #12
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Just clarifying that you refer to the Henderson solo chanter that has been around a few years, with the smoothed holes?
Yes, the solo chanter with the smoothed holes. Excellent.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #13
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Søren E. Larsen View Post
Shawn,

The solo Naill - is it the new version or older one?

How about the Strathmore chanter?

Thanks, Soren.
New or old they are both excellent. Yes they may take some fiddling to get set up right but nothing beats the harmonics from a Naill. IDK why or how but just something different/special about the Naill sound. I do slightly prefer the older ones without the threaded reed seat but honestly, they're all great. In the 1990's they were hit or miss at times but you could always carve them and get them where you wanted. Just mho.

I find the Strathmore to be excellent as well and if I had kept going it would have been number 7 on my solo list.

www.huskreeds.com
Old 07-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post

New or old they are both excellent. Yes they may take some fiddling to get set up right but nothing beats the harmonics from a Naill.

I have an ‘03 abw Naill I’d put aside for 5-6 years in a drawer while using another very popular abw chanter. I had my old Hardie’s silver sole out on it. Last summer I resurrected it to likely use for a ‘fancy’ wedding event...but found it had ‘suddenly’ changed and often chirped or squealed with HA to LA changes after warming up.....I tried many diff reeds and strengths.
Finally decided it was bollocked and put it aside again for almost a year.

Color me surprised and happy over the past few weeks and last weekend when I indeed started playing it again,and at a special event, and found it was again miraculously spectacular (IMO).
Big chanter...nicely filled out with a Shepherd standard reed of about 28”
strength.
Grinning like a Cheshire. I’ve got a new fav abw chanter.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #15
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
I do slightly prefer the older ones without the threaded reed seat but honestly, they're all great. In the 1990's they were hit or miss at times but you could always carve them and get them where you wanted. Just mho.

Is it the lower pitch in the older ones? The newer ones can indeed get quite high, but honestly I like the higher pitch.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #16
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
Is it the lower pitch in the older ones? The newer ones can indeed get quite high, but honestly I like the higher pitch.
My personal go to chanter is a 1990's Naill. It pitches at 480 with my reeds. I did have to do a lot of undercutting to the bottom hand notes but the top hand was brilliant. Once adjusted this thing just has fantastic tone all around.

Nothing wrong with the newer ones I just prefer the non-threaded reed seat. That happened in 2005 when they were working with Jack Lee and made some minor changes. I think their newer chanters require less fiddling around/adjusting.

www.huskreeds.com
Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #17
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have 3 totally different chanters that I revolve. When I get to thinking a chanter isn't sounding right I reed up another and think wow that sounds great until that chanter doesn't sound right then reed the next one and repeat the process. So I'm happy most of the time hee hee!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #18
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
I have 3 totally different chanters that I revolve. When I get to thinking a chanter isn't sounding right I reed up another and think wow that sounds great until that chanter doesn't sound right then reed the next one and repeat the process. So I'm happy most of the time hee hee!
You're not the only one! I've usually got three-ish solo chanters going, plus the band chanter.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #19
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
....maybe it’s the reeds...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:57 AM   #20
Søren E. Larsen
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
New or old they are both excellent. Yes they may take some fiddling to get set up right but nothing beats the harmonics from a Naill. IDK why or how but just something different/special about the Naill sound. I do slightly prefer the older ones without the threaded reed seat but honestly, they're all great. In the 1990's they were hit or miss at times but you could always carve them and get them where you wanted. Just mho.

I find the Strathmore to be excellent as well and if I had kept going it would have been number 7 on my solo list.
Thanks for the reply Shawn.