Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

Default Goat skin bags Vs sheepskin bags

What is your experience with goat skin bags?
I had two ( one Thomson and one from Hervieux & Glet) and both most comfortable ones but both leaking...so I wonder if I got to go to sheepskin.
Lochaberaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Goat skin bags Vs sheepskin bags

I have a Lee goatskin bag (zipper, no grommets) and its just okay. I just bought a Begg sheepskin and am looking forward to switching my pipes over.

As far as the feel of the actual skin (leaving the maker and construction out), I feel like the goatskin still hasn't broken in (still very stiff), but it drinks up lots of seasoning every time I season it.

The times I've played my bandmates' sheepskin bags, they feel a lot more comfortable and as if they want to be played.

Hope that makes sense.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #3
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Seperating the goats from the sheep... or goats from goats.

I wonder what breeds of goat are used, and to what climate they are adapted physically. I have taken hairy long-eared shami goats out to pasture, and Swiss Saanen. The local Shami goats are less damaged in the skin by the rocks and thorn bushes and other scrub.
David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Seperating the goats from the sheep... or goats from goats.

I wonder what breeds of goat are used, and to what climate they are adapted physically. I have taken hairy long-eared shami goats out to pasture, and Swiss Saanen. The local Shami goats are less damaged in the skin by the rocks and thorn bushes and other scrub.
I posed a similar Q a few weeks ago regarding sheepskin....that is,...is Icelandic sheep still used like in the ( my) old days?....or is a home grown Scots sheep used ?

I haven't seen any replies.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
Tucker Fleming
Forum Member

I just tied in a Bennett Goat bag a month or so ago. It's the nicest leather I've ever seen. It's very thick and has absorbed a lot of seasoning. It's stiff when new and takes awhile to break in, then it's wonderful. It doesn't require the amount of regular playing a sheepskin bag does. You still need to work it a couple times a week, but not every day.

Both Goat and Sheep are difficult to tie in. They need to be very wet in the local area to get the suppleness needed to get a tight tie in. In my experience Sheep is almost parchment-like till wet and Goat is thicker but not as stiff feeling. Just keep water and a wet sponge nearby.

I've tied in both Lee and Bennett Goat bags. The Bennett seem thicker than the Lee. The Lee Goat bag had holes punched in it for the stocks so I didn't get to do the cutting myself but their Goat is thicker than the Lee Sheep bags I've tied in.

The Goat has a substantial amount of resonance to it...the pipes feel alive compared to a synth bag. It is comparable to Sheep in this aspect.

So bottom line...for me it's Goat, and Bennett Goat at that! I like the material so much I want all my clothes made out of it (almost). It has the great resonant vibe that you get with sheep, it's not quite as finicky and will last just as long or more. When it's broken in it fits like an old moccasin.

Last edited by Tucker Fleming; 08-17-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: space 'tween paragraghs and added 2nd t to Bennett!
Tucker Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've always enjoyed sheepskin, but I have tried a couple of different goat bags in the past.

The goat bags I've tried were thicker than sheep and seemed much more durable, more like thick how hide than anything else. They were stiff to tie in. (I wasn't using anything with grommets) Once tied on they definitely needed seasoning and took quite a bit.

They had excellent resonance, just like any real hide bag, cow sheep or other.

Nice heavy leather, great feel under the arm, not as supple and glove-like as sheepskin but very good.

As for moisture control, not quite as good as sheepskin but very very close.

The problem I always had with goat was no matter how much or how well I seasoned them they always were slightly leaky. This was verified by wetting the outside of the bag and seeing small bubbles coming up from the skin as air made it's way through, this was even after a fresh seasoning. They just never got as airtight as cow or sheepskin.

I will say this, this was many years ago now, perhaps as many as 10, and I have never tried a Lee or a modern Bennett so I can not comment on those personally. They might be completely great.

I know some leather can take a while to break in and become airtight but even after many weeks of playing and several seasoning sessions the goat just never was 100% airtight.

Things may have changed since then, but this was my experience. YMMV.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:22 AM   #7
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
I know some leather can take a while to break in and become airtight but even after many weeks of playing and several seasoning sessions the goat just never was 100% airtight.

Thanks for the experience sharing this confirms just what I am thinking and may be I will go for sheepskin for that reason...or try to put a second bottle of seasoning in my goatskin bag.
Lochaberaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

I have just over two years (tied in- June 2014) playing a Lee Goatskin, zippered, pre-punched holes, no grommets.
Since the initial seasoning with Airtight I've maybe touched up the seasoning three more times. The bag is amazingly air tight. Yes, it was a bear tying in the stocks since the hide is thick.
I can let it sit for weeks if life demands or play it daily, it's always ready to go. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one in the future.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
bigdogpiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
I've always enjoyed sheepskin, but I have tried a couple of different goat bags in the past.

The goat bags I've tried were thicker than sheep and seemed much more durable, more like thick how hide than anything else. They were stiff to tie in. (I wasn't using anything with grommets) Once tied on they definitely needed seasoning and took quite a bit.

They had excellent resonance, just like any real hide bag, cow sheep or other.

Nice heavy leather, great feel under the arm, not as supple and glove-like as sheepskin but very good.

As for moisture control, not quite as good as sheepskin but very very close.

The problem I always had with goat was no matter how much or how well I seasoned them they always were slightly leaky. This was verified by wetting the outside of the bag and seeing small bubbles coming up from the skin as air made it's way through, this was even after a fresh seasoning. They just never got as airtight as cow or sheepskin.

I will say this, this was many years ago now, perhaps as many as 10, and I have never tried a Lee or a modern Bennett so I can not comment on those personally. They might be completely great.

Shawn I just recently tied on a pigskin bag and amazingly the bag is very supple, comfortable, and airtight after seasoning. Made my own seasoning using natural stuff.

Pat Benningfield
bigdogpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #10
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm happy to hear that you guys are having good luck with your goatskin bags. I really liked the ones I tried but the damn airtightness or lack thereof was really bugging me. I wish I could remember who made them. I honestly can't it's been so long. Perhaps they were just a bad batch? But I have heard others complain about this too so IDK.

Either way it sounds like Lee has it down, that's good to hear.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote