Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: MacDougalls?

If he is thinking of donating them, I would recommend (1) not restoring them, and (2) consider the National Museums of Scotland. Regimental museums, whichever one it is, may not have the necessary conservation knowledge or resources, and in this day and age not all have secure futures. The NMS has specific experts who will know what they are dealing with and be able to place them in context and crucially make them available for scholars and researchers in the future.

As for volunteering to take them off his hands, it's a short step for me
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #12
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
It would be a shame to put them in a museum.

Paul.
Agreed. There must be a way to get them playing again. And, if needs be, get them into the US with the neccesary proof of age etc
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondPiper View Post
Agreed. There must be a way to get them playing again. And, if needs be, get them into the US with the neccesary proof of age etc
Might be worthwhile to first confirm they are not a set of 'Monday' pipes...
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #14
Tucker Fleming
Forum Member

I'm trying mightily to talk him into getting lessons and have some meaningful hands on time with his ancestors awesome pipes.
I have no idea what his plans are for them. I sure got excited when I saw them, I must admit!
I know he's the kind of guy who has a very deep appreciation for what they are and what his Great Granddaddy did with them and I sincerely hope he decides to take up the craft. Almost any level of success would be very gratifying for him.
So this has become kind of a post to nowhere, till further notice! Thanks guys who gave me some advice to pass along. I sent it all over to him.

I added a pic to the bunch, it's the old Regimental Band he was from. London Scottish maybe? He's the third from the left in the photo.
Tucker Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #15
Jim McGillivray

I'm a firm believer that if a vintage set can be put into playing condition while maintaining the integrity of the physical instrument, then it should be done so and played. Hearing the tone as it's played is equally important as seeing the wood in a display case.

Maybe more so.

You don't stuff a tiger when it's still alive.

JM
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly View Post
These pipes are Duncan MacDougal pipes.
And the chanter is the original DMD chanter with the typical ivory ring on the bulb. These pipes seem to be nearly completely original, or close to original condition, the cover is possibly pre-1900 and should not be dumped despite the moth damage. Everything should be saved. This being said these pipes can easily be restored to playing condition, but they will require very careful and patient handling.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #17
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Even if he, himself, doesn't decide to take up playing, I would suggest trying to persuade him to keep them in the family for a while at least. Not only is it an historically rich instrument, it's one with deep roots in his family's ancestry.

It would be a tremendous shame to donate them away to another piper or to a museum, only to find that 25 years later, someone in the family gains an interest and misses the opportunity to jumpstart the family tradition once again with pipes so wonderfully linked to them.

Hopefully someone in the family at least steps up, agreeing to be a caretaker. Again, an enviable instrument to others, but to that family, it's also a priceless heirloom.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #18
Tucker Fleming
Forum Member

Good news.
He's decided to send them to Naill in Minehead for the restoration. He's very keen to start lessons. He's just turned 50... As a side, the Pipes do have brass lined drones.
Tucker Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #19
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker Fleming View Post
Good news.
He's decided to send them to Naill in Minehead for the restoration. He's very keen to start lessons. He's just turned 50... As a side, the Pipes do have brass lined drones.
Awesome! Very good to hear.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #20
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Awesome! Very good to hear.
Brass lined drones excepted, depending on the climate they are liable to crack badly...