Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Favorite blowstick? And worth it to repair a blowstick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxpert View Post
Not all synthetic blowpipes look bad.
I recently picked up a set of early Kintails missing original blowpipe and blowpipe stock cracked through. Rest of set is in excellent condition.

I contacted Rick at Dunbar and commissioned a poly blowpipe and stock to be made with aged Catalin projecting mount and ferrule he was able to find.

This new blowpipe and stock will blend nicely with the set and will provide the next owner a robust avoidance of future blowpipe and stock failures.

IMHO, Dunbar beading and combing of their polyproducts looks identical to Blackwood.
The homely ones IMO are those generic sticks with no matching mount , metal knobs plain smooth extension tubes,etc. . . A bespoke acetyl one of the right fixed length with a proper mount, turnings and mouthpiece quite usually
look ‘ invisible ‘.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

When I got my vintage pipes, I wanted to use the blowpipe that came with it.

My instructor suggested two options. The first to get it sleeved. This would give a useable blowpipe, but it would be result in restricted blowing due to the internal diameter. The second option was to use a decent plastic blowpipe that had a wide bore.

I opted for the latter and purchased a Wylie blowpipe - a choice that I have not regretted.

http://www.cameronwyliebagpipeclinic...scography.html

Charlie
Old 11-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #13
Keith Jeffers
Forum Regular

For the original poster: Did you have indoor heating running with the pipes left out of their case when the pipes cracked?
If so, that would the culprit. Keep an eye on the rest of the set.
Keith Jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #14
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

That Wylie looks very nice.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post

Not the cheapest, but I like the fact that it doesn’t look like most other adjustable blowpipes.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #16
Chicagopipes
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Jeffers View Post
For the original poster: Did you have indoor heating running with the pipes left out of their case when the pipes cracked?
If so, that would the culprit. Keep an eye on the rest of the set.
Not at all. Last night was the first night this season we turned on the heat. I live in California now. Average relative humidity has been about 52%. I wasn't playing any more than 15 minutes/day. Almost every day, but I'm working on endurance.
Chicagopipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #17
Chicagopipes
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
I'd wondered about that one. Of course, you can't be certain from the pictures, but from the pictures the mounts on it look about the same color as the mounts on mine.
Chicagopipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #18
Tucker Fleming
Forum Member

I had Cameron Wylie make a stick using the engraved silver mounts from the original blowstick that I sent up to him for a buddy's pipes restoration. It turned out great and was un noticeable as a replacement. Great work and great blowstick. And of course I use one myself. I have 2

Tucker

Last edited by Tucker Fleming; 11-11-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: get the details right!
Tucker Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:09 AM   #19
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagopipes View Post
Not at all. Last night was the first night this season we turned on the heat. I live in California now. Average relative humidity has been about 52%. I wasn't playing any more than 15 minutes/day. Almost every day, but I'm working on endurance.
You'll need to learn to take 30 seconds after playing to pass a swab through the blow stick to remove excess moisture. I am the only one in my band doing so.

I had mine crack on me when new. I had a replacement made and learned to take the minute while putting the pipes away to swab out the blow stick and the blow stock. Not a crack since. I also oil the blow stick and stock (both inside and out) once a year. I also keep my pipes in their case zipped closed.

But everyone one is different, you will need to do what is good for you and your pipes.

P.S. If it was me I'd get it either fixed or replaced.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:56 AM   #20
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Roddy Maclellan fixed my cracked J&R Glen blowstick. I can't even see the repair, and it was very reasonable. I don't recall how much it was, but it seemed like a really good deal.

I have thoughts of having David Lindsey fabricate one of his Peter Crisler blowsticks in a wooden match for it. Just thougths so far.