Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
briguy
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Good transition practice

i'm still early in my learning stage (less than a month) but I'm practicing daily (almost).
one of the things i'm trying to eliminate early on is cross-over noise between notes, and find some transitions a little more challenging than normal.
going up and down the scale is find, even with gracenotes.
i've been doing;

lg, b, d, f, ha, f, d, b, lg
lg, la, c, e, hg, e, d, a, lg

And this, up2, down 1, up 2, down 1, etc.
lg, b, la, c, b, d, c, e, d, f, e, hg, f, ha, f, hg, e, f, d, e, c, d, b, c, la, b, lg, la

which i find is a little more challenging. playing from 'b' to 'd' is tough in both directions for example.

anyone have any other scales that are good exercise that aren't just scales? thanks!
briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: good transition practice

Fwiw...I’ll go on a limb and guess a few folks here would agree you are likely going,literally,too fast in your practices and playing these transitions.
Maybe do less and go slower until each single one is clean..up and down.
Fingers very relaxed,..no pressure on the thumbs.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

briguy,

Just as an observation... and also based on the above
Post... "The Beginner's Death Grip" is not uncommon...
and at the first... "Slow and Easy"... serves the best...

Just keep after it... It will come... Promise!! :)

All the best!!

Pip01

Old 01-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

If your looking for additional exercises, I would highly recommend picking up a copy of Jim McGillivray’s book Rhythmic Fingerwork: Instruction in Technique for the Highland Bagpipe. It has great scale exercises and will progress with you as it covers pretty much every movement you will encounter in typical light music.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:33 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Scales are for diagnosis, not development. Once you've identified an issue using some sort of exercise as you've done, make a lit of the individual crossings that are causing you a problem.

Spend approximately five minutes (a phone timer is useful) addressing each one. Work out exactly what the movements should be and work through them slowly; an analogy I often use with students is that it should be as if filmed with a super-slow-motion camera.

The key issue is always that fingers coming off the chanter must come up before any fingers go down.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Default Re: Good transition practice

I'd echo what others have said, play slowly when you practice. There are a ton of free crossing noise (CN) exercises to be found on Google, but none will help you if you aren't playing them correctly. Playing slowly will help you to hear any CN and also to help with muscle memory.

Try this little game I learned in a book on practice strategies: Play an exercise at a nice slow tempo 5 times in a row PERFECTLY. ANY mistake and you start over at 1. Be sure to really listen and not zone out. Only after you've played it 5 times correctly do you advance the tempo. Then try for 5 times in a row perfectly at the faster tempo. And so on and so on...
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 AM   #7
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Default Re: Good transition practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
anyone have any other scales that are good exercise that aren't just scales? thanks!

For crossing noises, here's something you could try from the strathspey Islay Ball. Hopefully my notation will make sense:

[notes in ( ) denote gracenotes]

In triplets: E,F,HG - HA,F,HA - HG-E-HG - (ha) F,D,F - (hg) E,C,E - (hg) D, F, D - (hg) C,HA,C

You might also encounter these:

Dotted 16th-32nd-32nd-Dotted 16th: (e doubling)E, LA, (d)C, E
Dotted 16th-32nd-32nd-Dotted 16th: A, E, (hg)C, E
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote