Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Default Tying in a new bag

I've decided to get a new hide pipe bag (goatskin) and will need to learn to tie it in. I've done some reading and watched some videos and think I'm ready to tackle this daunting task. Just wanted to see if anyone on here has any special tips, tricks, or resources that will make it easier and/or more secure.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Tying in a new bag

The College of Piping Tutor Book 2 has diagrams and instructions for tying in hide bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Get the skin around the holes good and wet so itíll stretch rather than tear when you insert the stocks.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
Andrew Lenz

Maybe youíve already seen it, but this may help:
http://www.bagpipejourney.com/articles/bag-tie-in.shtml

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Why not just have someone who is experienced do it while you watch...won't cost much but the bag will if you mess it up.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Why not just have someone who is experienced do it while you watch...won't cost much but the bag will if you mess it up.

My instructor showed me how to tie in a bag, I certainly am glad that he did.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:10 AM   #7
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'd love to have someone show me how to do it but I'm not in a band and I take Skype lessons. I'll ask around and see if maybe there's someone local.

I used to have the CoP Book 2 but haven't seen it in years. I'll use your instructions Andrew along with some help from youtube. And I'll also be sure to get the leather around the holes wet.

Thanks again.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

https://youtu.be/9WSMQjxSJ-A

I donít apply the theatrics of tying the cord to a bedpost or Newell post or porch railing. I sit and pull the cord just as tight with it wrapped around a short dowel or drumstick piece. Otherwise...pretty much exactly how Iíve done many airtight bags over time..... Even using the syn cord and melting the end shut.

Important...saturate the leather at least 1Ē beyond the holes to avoid tearing it.

Itís Good to learn how to do this..every piper should be able to take care of his own pipes. But, imho, unless competing regularly at grade 2+ a good syn hybrid bag ( Canmore) makes life much easier in many climates.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

I bet your instructor could help via Skype too. No sense not getting their input, even if you're doing the work.

A couple of thoughts - I would get the bag pre-cut if you can, unless you are needing to customize hole positions. Cutting the bag always makes me nervous. Many retailers will also tie in bags if you send them your stocks as well. Then you can use that bag as a "template" when you go to replace it in a few years.

I've got a Lee goatskin bag tied onto my Hendersons. Super comfortable and all the moisture control I need with just tube trap + Airtite seasoning!

Good luck!!

Matt
Old 02-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Weasner View Post

I would get the bag pre-cut if you can, unless you are needing to customize hole positions. Cutting the bag always makes me nervous. !

Matt
Pre cut by the bag maker....who will usually cut about 1Ē dia. holes and the wetted leather stretches nicely into the stock grooves.

I had a student come by one time with a bag the jerk retailer had cut...he used the way too large inside diameter of an electrical tape roll as the template...
...there was just barely leather enough to stretch and mate to the stocks d groove.

Fortunately that guy has moved his store to another state.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote