Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #21
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Thick People

I refuse weddings for similar reason. Funerals are generally more honest affairs, and Damn you man. Now I need to figure out a transposition of Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead unless you can post an e-mail copy. Its been 80 years so unless the copyright has been renewed into perpetuity....

However I am tempted to pull on the Grim Reaper Robes and Play Party Tunes for some people....
Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #22
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

I am often times... re-... and re-...re-minded... of that
Old Adage... "You can't know... what you don't know."
(And that certainly applies... to many who call us.)

And in my particular situation... in this most marvelous
world in which I have found myself... there are always
and infinitely... more things that I don't know... than that
I do!!... (and that certainly includes... The Piping Game!! :).

And with all... of we poor mortals... when thrust... or when
simply caught up... in exceptional circumstances... such
as weddings... and the more so in the emotionally rending
face of funerals... like sailors awash in heavy seas... we...
are all...most likely... to over-reach... trying to lay hold and
grasp... that imagined "straw"... of "control"...

Then, I think... I hope... that it falls to us... and to our office...
to gently (oh so gently)... help guide those who have called
us... for happy weddings... or for grieving funerals... and for
anything in between... to what piping is the best... and in
what places... in the day...

And for we poor sods... chanters in hand... such is a weighty
matter... given the vagaries of the emotions un-leashed... in
some who call us... and we can but hope... but try... to rise to
those occasions... where our presence... and our helpfulness...
may be... of service...

Trusting that all of us... can find our way... through these oft
times greatly tangled... conversations... aiming for the ease...
of those... who call us... and stand in need of both our skill
in piping... and our assistance...

Regards... and hoping for... The Best... for All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 05-22-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #23
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
This gig turned out to be a nightmare. The lady who hired me by phone and text turned out to be a very wealthy lady from Florida. The deceased was her brother. She behaved as if everyone were her servants. Rude and demanding.
The funeral director had to stay longer because after the graveside ceremony she decided to have her own invented ceremony with everyone placing a flower on the casket and saying a few words about the deceased. This took forever.
I was a gentleman and behaved but in my mind I was bitching her out. She waited as long as possible to pay me. I smiled and thanked her, but you can guess what I was thinking.
It's always best to be professional and to remember the great funerals and the kind people who hire pipers. Thank God the 99.9 percent are not like this one.
Dave, by posting this you've let all the other pipers in your area know that you have a high tolerance for these kinds of headaches! Expect to get a lot of referrals in the future!

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #24
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
Dave, by posting this you've let all the other pipers in your area know that you have a high tolerance for these kinds of headaches! Expect to get a lot of referrals in the future!

Cheers -

Wes
For a bit I thought about refusing funerals. Then I realized that one bad funeral should not influence my thinking. I will just go over the funeral protocol with the client beforehand. Most are standard affairs with only minor differences.
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #25
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
For a bit I thought about refusing funerals. Then I realized that one bad funeral should not influence my thinking. I will just go over the funeral protocol with the client beforehand. Most are standard affairs with only minor differences.
In my experience, it's quite rare for funerals to be so difficult. And though the circumstances are never "nice," I find funeral and memorial services to be the best experiences when doing your standard "piper gig." What I'm doing tends to be extremely impactful for those in attendance, and often they'll tell me so.

Weddings, on the other hand, I'll often refuse ... or at least, I'll try to avoid them. Outlandish requests abound, and most of the time not a person there seems to appreciate anything I'm doing. You're live, background music ... and that's all. To each their own, but I really hate that.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #26
JBGriffith
Forum Clasp

I was just contacted by a wedding planner who said that the bride wanted a tune called " A Tale as Old as Time", the theme song from Beauty and the Beast. While it is indeed a beautiful tune, it also covers about two octaves ! Trying to fudge the tune on the pipes ruins the structure of the tune. I gave her a list of other tunes from which to choose.

Probably the strangest request I've had for a funeral was " Puff, the Magic Dragon". A close runner-up was an Elvis tune, "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You". It seems that in both instances, it was the deceased's favorite song to sing while in the shower. Thankfully, from my past days of playing in a jazz band,I play a lot by ear, so I was able to play these for the widows. However, it did raise some eyebrows from the other mourners in attendance.

Then there was the funeral for an administrator from Mississippi State University. His family insisted that I play the school fight song "Hail State", as the casket was taken from the church.

And the list goes on.....
Old 05-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #27
John Miner
Forum Silver Medal

It's true that many times odd requests leave us scratching our heads, but I had an "odd" request a month or so ago that I was utterly delighted to accommodate. The family was MacFarlane and I was asked to play the piobaireachd MacFarnlane's Gathering. Being a piobeariachd nut I was thrilled. It helped that this tune was in my rotation years ago so I was able to dust it off on short notice.

John Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:47 PM   #28
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGriffith View Post
I was just contacted by a wedding planner who said that the bride wanted a tune called " A Tale as Old as Time", the theme song from Beauty and the Beast. While it is indeed a beautiful tune, it also covers about two octaves ! Trying to fudge the tune on the pipes ruins the structure of the tune. I gave her a list of other tunes from which to choose.

Probably the strangest request I've had for a funeral was " Puff, the Magic Dragon". A close runner-up was an Elvis tune, "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You". It seems that in both instances, it was the deceased's favorite song to sing while in the shower. Thankfully, from my past days of playing in a jazz band,I play a lot by ear, so I was able to play these for the widows. However, it did raise some eyebrows from the other mourners in attendance.

Then there was the funeral for an administrator from Mississippi State University. His family insisted that I play the school fight song "Hail State", as the casket was taken from the church.

And the list goes on.....
The famous 18th century French song "Plaisir d'Amour" was recorded on the pipes maybe 40-45 years ago. A few others have cut vinyl for this as "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You."

I was buying some piobaireachd recodings in Edinburgh 40 some odd years ago. There was this cassette on display. I looked furtively to the right of me, and warily to the left. I plucked the thing from off the rack and said, "I will take this, too." Very quietly, like a kid trying to buy a box of cigarettes. "Oh, and toss in a Player's Navy Cut, and the Mars Bars and vinegar crisps, please."

Fits on the pipes, Plaisir d'Amour does. Supposedly an old hurdy-gurdy tune.

Last edited by David; 05-23-2019 at 11:58 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #29
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: PLAISIR D'AMOUR

One strage thing about Plaisir D'amour is that the composer, named Jean-Paul- Égide Martini was really Bavarian by birth and took the name Martini once he moved to France and became a court musician . He was known in Italian as Martini il Tedesco=Martini the German.
The standard key for Plaisir d'amou/Piacer d'amore is F major, but it would fit on pipes transposed to written D major- piece of cake ( Morceau de gateau?)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #30
Locke Bar
Forum Regular

Got a call from a total stranger who wanted me to play at his brothers funeral at a local funeral home. I was prepared to play a simple slow air but imagine my amusement when I learnt that the deceased died from alcoholic poisoning and his family requested the playing of How Dry I Am.
I obliged,took the money and ran.
Locke Bar is offline   Reply With Quote