Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #11
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Tunes for a new smallpiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray c View Post
Hello. I'm new to piping and eagerly awaiting a set of Walsh pipes in A in the mail.

SNIP
If it's not too late, you might consider asking John Walsh if he can add a lower thumb hole to your chanter to play C-natural. It's not one of the standard notes but you will very quickly wish you had it. If it is too late, it can always be added later.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #12
Adam Sanderson

Hi Murray,
If you already have some musical ability, then may I suggest the LBPS publication, Suggested Session Tunes, 68 well known tunes for only a fiver, all tunes are graded Easy, Medium and Medium/hard and come with accompanying chords.

Most smallpipers I know here in Central Scotland start off with Mary Scott, Flower of Yarrow and Mrs Hamilton of Pencaitland when learning, as the slower tunes make it easier when concentrating on bag/bellows technique. (That's no' me in the videos, btw, it's forum member Neil Clark).

Both of these tunes are in the LBPS blue book, the committee sessions. This book seems to get given away free at LBPS events, but you can download it in PDF format from the LBPS website here.

If you want to start with the very basics, then can I recommend the LBPS publication More Power to Your Elbow? You didn't mention if your Walsh pipes are bellows or mouth blown, so I must point out that the tutor is for bellows blown pipes, but it does contain a lot of finger technique as well as specific ornamentations for the smallpipe. It also provides links to videos of the lessons which are online at the LBPS website.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
murray c
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

So much great info here, thank you all.

The pipes are here! ( at some point when i've got a good start on them I may very well have to see if he will add the c natural for me, I can see that opening a lot of doors)

Perhaps a practice chanter would be a good idea ... my plan was to tape off the drones and use it as a sort of 'goose'. Start out trying to get one steady note, then move on to two, etc.. It's mouthblown, so maybe a bit simpler.

If anyone's still checking this, may I ask a newbie pipe care question? Not sure why it's hard to find this stuff online.. Should I be removing the chanter after play and drying it out? I understand it has a water trap of some sort. All of the fittings are super tight, I'm hesitant to break something and I don't really know where things are supposed to come apart. Thank you.

ps, In Memory of Herbie McLeod makes for a great fiddle tune too, thanks
murray c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Definitely remove the blowpipe. Iíd remove the chanter also *if* you have an appropriate chanter cap, BUT since itís a plastic reed and you donít take the drones out, you probably donít *have* to take the chanter out either. I have a wooden mouthblown Swayne set with a leather bag and I never take the chanter out as I donít have an appropriately sized chanter cap and itís a plastic reed. Does the bag have a zip?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #15
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray c View Post

If anyone's still checking this, may I ask a newbie pipe care question? Not sure why it's hard to find this stuff online.. Should I be removing the chanter after play and drying it out? I understand it has a water trap of some sort.
Is it a wooden set? One assumes that since you're worried about moisture it's a mouthblown set.

My Soutar SSP is mouthblown and made entirely of plastic. I usually unzip the bag when I'm done playing, but I never take it apart. There used to be bottle style moisture system in it, since it had a Banatyne bag, but I took it out. It never gets that wet, and now I have more room for whistles.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:08 PM   #16
murray c

plastic pipes, synthetic bag, no zip... i'm pulling the blow stick out now.. in the web description it says there is a 'compact water trap in the blowpipe stock'

i'm assuming i'm not going to be taking the stock out, so i'm guessing I just have to take the stick out and air out the trap or shake it out after playing?

so much fun, just working on trying to hold one steady note for a long time, drones taped off. i can see this is going to take a while to get the hang of.

still feels like wrestling an octopus that's sticking something in my mouth, it's hard to find a sweet spot where my face is comfortable and my hands are relaxed on the chanter
Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 AM   #17
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

How long is the blowpipe that was supplied? Just measure the length that does not go in the stock.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #18
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

So it sounds like you should take the stick out and dump the water from the stock. If you look down inside you'll probably see some sort of device in there with a flapper valve and a kind of groove around it that catches the water.

It would be good to find out how to remove it, because if you play it a lot it will probably get stuff growing on it.

Another thing you might want to experiment with is to put a cork in the chanter stock and just play the three drones. While doing that you can tune them to each other and see how they respond to changes in pressure.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #19
Lochie
Forum Regular

Unless the design has changed recently, it's a standard length blowpipe with a very long mouthpiece, complete with a standard issue flapper valve. Me and many other pipers I know, have sawed an inch or two off the mouthpiece, not the blow pipe, for comfort.
The blowpipe stock has a built in water trap.
All I have ever done, after playing, is remove my blowpipe, and leave it out to dry for 20 minutes. Also I shake out any spit caught in the trap, the bag has no zipper....
I will then re assemble for transport, unless the occasion deserves one more beer, in which case double these timings.
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #20
murray c

Thanks Lochie, that clarifies... I'm sure it's the same, that sounds pretty much like what I have and what I'm doing.. just nice to hear as I don't know what I'm doing..

I was having the same thought on sawing an inch or two off, I'll leave it for a while until it's more familiar but I think it might make things more manageable..