Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-18-2019, 04:44 AM   #1
OHpiper
Forum Member

Default Strike-ins, what a pain!

I've sort of dealt with my poor technique this past several months until here recently. Since I've joined a band I've been watching, a lot. I've looked up on you-tube and been practicing it some, squeezing the bag and pushing with my hand at the same time. About 3 out of ten are good, the bad ones I get a double toning tenor or bass drone sometimes both.. and the chanter will sound as well. I'm using Cannings, with the carbon bass, all reeds are seated firmly, all joints are tight, no air leakage anywhere. Using an easy chanter reed now and i don't want to go to stronger one if possible. When I do get good ones they sound wonderful.
Cheers, Bill
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Strike-ins, what a pain!

2 things:
1) practice a lot (sounds like you’re doing that), specifically not letting the chanter sound
2) it is, or should be, possible to find a good sounding set of reeds that comes in every time no matter how bad your technique is. Could also just be the drone reed setup. For example, you want the bass drone tuning at the hemp on the top joint (leave it there and never touch it again) and the lower bass joint to tune low (there’s a transition point that it’ll minimize the bass howling once the lower joint gets low enough). If both joints on the bass are tuning high, you need to flatten the bass reed by turning the screw all the way into the nose cone, might as well go all the way anyway, that way you’ll have to compensate by tuning lower on the bottom pin, which will hopefully get you past the transition point.

Do the drones kick over from howling to normal sound once the chanter comes in, or do they keep howling?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
OHpiper
Forum Member

[QUOTE=Patrick McLaurin;1339608

Do the drones kick over from howling to normal sound once the chanter comes in, or do they keep howling?[/QUOTE]

I have found the higher pitched sound is a direct result of not enough pressure. But sometimes the bass drone does it randomly and once I start playing it stops.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Some pipe+reed combinations just howl (tenors only) and come in with the chanter. This is rarely/never true for the bass.

It kinda sounds like you have a very narrow window between drones not howling and chanter sound.

Have you matched the drone reed bridle setting for your chanter reed’s pressure? No need to get fancy, I just move the bridle down until they stop when the chanter comes in and then move it back until they stay on.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hand the pipes to someone who teaches or sets up pipes regularly.

Some setups are just reluctant to strike in effectively, and at this point it's difficult to know if it's you or the instrument.

If the drones come in correctly when you start playing then I wouldn't sorry about it. One can set up drones to come in like a lightswitch but I'm not sure there's any good reason to panic about it at this stage.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

This brings up a related question I have - sorry to piggyback on the OP.

What would happen to the performance and tone of, say, a Kinnaird bass drone reed, if one built a custom nose cone that was 1.5 times as long as the stock nose cone, with the internal threaded chamber being longer as well. Would this allow for more flattening range for the reed via the internal hex nut in the nose cone, but at the expense of screwing up how the reed performs?
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I wouldn’t bother making a new nose cone. Just fit some brass hobby tubing and plug the end of the tube. I’m *guessing* the threaded inner diameter of the current nose cone is based on the size of the screw and other engineering considerations and not what’s tonally best anyway, so that the inner diameter of the tube is different than the ID of the nose cone *probably* won’t be a problem.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #8
OHpiper
Forum Member

After re-evaluating my set-up I think I figured it out though I won't hold my breath, lol, (what's good today probably won't be tomorrow) the offending tenor reed I believe the bridle was open too much, that's why it was taking more air. Awhile back i got frustrated because they were shutting off while I was playing and I opened them some, playing here at home I didn't care how my strike-ins sounded. I'm leaving things as is for now and see what Jon thinks at practice this week. I had 3 good strike -ins in a row just a few minutes ago and if I don't squeeze too hard while playing they don't shut off.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #9
Molasses4masses
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post
After re-evaluating my set-up I think I figured it out though I won't hold my breath, lol, (what's good today probably won't be tomorrow) the offending tenor reed I believe the bridle was open too much, that's why it was taking more air. Awhile back i got frustrated because they were shutting off while I was playing and I opened them some, playing here at home I didn't care how my strike-ins sounded. I'm leaving things as is for now and see what Jon thinks at practice this week. I had 3 good strike -ins in a row just a few minutes ago and if I don't squeeze too hard while playing they don't shut off.
In my limited experience, it really sounds like you may need a little bit harder chanter reed and then adjust your drone reeds accordingly. Someone correct me if Iím wrong, though.
Molasses4masses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post
I've sort of dealt with my poor technique this past several months until here recently.

Have a look at Chris Hamilton's videos on strike in technique.