Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Default Flat High G

I have a flat High G on my solo chanter - wooden Dunbar Elite I (about 472-475hz). It's a Husk reed. The reed is seated pretty deep and snug, and there is a little bit of tape on most of the notes, except for D and HG. The High G is WAY flat. I know we have a flattened 7th, so I mean that it's flatter than that. I've been asking around, and so far I'm hearing that I can carve the hole (reluctant to do that if it's because of the reed), or replace the reed. I hate to lose the reed, I got it blown in and it's easy blowing with great tone and projection... except on HG. I popped it in a band chanter and it balanced with no problems, and sounded great, so maybe it's just not a good match with my particular chanter. Nonetheless, curious if there are any known fixes to this specific problem. I don't think sinking the reed would work, because I'd need an impractical amount of tape on the other notes.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Flat High G

That’s a strange problem to have. Just making sure that if you’re referencing a tuner, and it’s a chromatic/normal tuner, that you’re aware our Gs tune 31 cents flat from that reference. Just like C# amd F# are around 15 cents flat, etc. Bagpipe tuners in just intonation or bagpipe mode make this adjustment automatically.

Be it that you are indeed flat, please mail me the reed at.....just kidding. I always have tape on high G.

Quite humid where you are?

Hate to say it, but I’ve never had much luck with the Eller models of Dunbar chanters. I have yet to find a reed that gave a true enough scale to make playing it worthwhile.

Lastly, sometimes having a reed too far in can booger up high G, but more often F#.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I have a flat High G on my solo chanter - wooden Dunbar Elite I (about 472-475hz). It's a Husk reed. The reed is seated pretty deep and snug, and there is a little bit of tape on most of the notes, except for D and HG. The High G is WAY flat. I know we have a flattened 7th, so I mean that it's flatter than that. I've been asking around, and so far I'm hearing that I can carve the hole (reluctant to do that if it's because of the reed), or replace the reed. I hate to lose the reed, I got it blown in and it's easy blowing with great tone and projection... except on HG. I popped it in a band chanter and it balanced with no problems, and sounded great, so maybe it's just not a good match with my particular chanter. Nonetheless, curious if there are any known fixes to this specific problem. I don't think sinking the reed would work, because I'd need an impractical amount of tape on the other notes.
Get another reed for the chanter. Problem solved
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post

I have a flat High G on my solo chanter - wooden Dunbar Elite I (about 472-475hz). It's a Husk reed.

What branded reed(s) does the maker recommend? You might contact the maker to discuss the flat high G issue....depend on the chanter age they might offer a replacement or at least return to them to evaluate.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies -

Yes, hot and humid here.

I know to set a tuner to just intonation, and this is obvious enough to tell by ear.

I thought maybe I damaged or mishandled the reed somehow, but since there don't seem to be any specific causes/solutions to this issue, I'm going to assume it's just not a good match between individual reed and individual chanter. It'll make a good reed for another chanter though, I won't let it go to waste.

Dunbar recommends a Higgins or Megarity reed. I've found an Apps reed also works very well. I'll try one of these. If problems persist, I'll have Dunbar check it out.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote