Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
Harley G
Forum Member

Default Re: Inisheer

Thank you Mr Burke and Mr Calum for your clarification and patience.

I know all about rules and was not trying to circumvent them in any way or question the right of Mr Sanderson to point out the rules to me. Sorry if you see it that way. As stated in John Wick 2, "without rules we would just be like the animals".

Basically my bum snapped shut when I read the reference to legal issues in Mr Sanderson's post. One of my tutors gave me 2 site links with over 14,000 tune notations freely available for download in pdf, pio and bww format. I have passed these links onto several people in this forum through direct email. When I saw Mr Sanderson's legal reference I started to doubt the legality of the sites and my actions in passing on these sites. I was not so concerned with not being able to do so in this forum as I was just trying to be helpful, I just did not want to be guilty of committing an offense.

Thanks to your input, I now see it is just a forum rule issue and I am very happy that you have clarified this point. I will abide with the forum rules as I agreed to when I registered to join this forum. Sorry for not interpreting the rules correctly in the first instance. It probably explains why I see many of the same psudenoms from this forum also on the Session where they allow sharing of music.

Thanks again for your guidance Mr Burke and Mr Calum.
Harley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-27-2019, 05:00 AM   #12
Adam Sanderson

The site you refer to is illegal and has been ordered to be taken down in the past due to legal action by some very well known pipers and composers, one of whom is an international lawyer as well as a gold medallist. There was a long legal battle, which involved this forum due to links being posted here.

The site contains hundreds of examples of piper's tunes being made available despite the composers and family's of the composer legally objecting. Make no mistake, it is illegal. It was taken down, but obviously it has been put up again after being assigned a new URL, so I'm guessing another legal battle will emerge now that it has been made known.

But the main thing here is that you have to own the copyright to a tune in order to be able to post it here. We used to allow traditional tunes to be posted here, but we had too many people posting or asking for tunes by the likes of, Gordon Duncan, for example, claiming they were "traditional". This would result in a lot of moderator time being used up in trying to sort out the legality of what is or isn't traditional. In the end, so many man hours were being used we felt we had no option but to exclude tunes that the poster did not own the copyright to, hence rule 5.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
uther
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I'm sorry my post has caused such a furore, it was in no way intentional. My original question was asking if there was an authorised tune book with Inisheer included.
uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #14
Harley G
Forum Member

Not really a furore.

Because of your question it has now been highlighted that this site is operating. While the Copyright Authority inform me it is the content, not the site that is the real issue, this can now be brought to the attention of the appropriate organisation.

I am guessing Jack Lee , Barrister, Gold Medalist piper with an online business selling sheet music as the "international lawyer". He can now go and get stuck into this site to protect his business and the royalties of the offended parties.

People like him should also point out to Google and such the same issue. Enter Inisheer sheet music or Gordon Duncan sheet music into image search and see how many images are displayed. Some even display the copyright symbol yet there they are.

Some music selling sites are even charging for sheet music where the composer is unknown, go figure.

Such are the issues with our digital world.

All good for me as I learned something worthwhile out of this thread. This forum also has ethics and rules which is a good thing and it would not be reasonable for the moderators of this forum to have to deal with consequential damage.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:54 AM   #15
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley G View Post
I am guessing Jack Lee , Barrister, Gold Medalist piper with an online business selling sheet music as the "international lawyer".

Jack Lee is an accountant.

Bill Livingstone is a lawyer.

tomm
Old 08-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #16
CorvPiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
Does anyone know where I can find the score to Inisheer for bagpipes? I'm assuming it's in a tune book somewhere!
Thanks!
A quick Google search turns up images of the sheet music. Using an application such as Musescore and transcribing the original score then transposing into D major will get you close. You may have to fiddle with some notes if they fall outside the bagpipe scale. Then listening to the National Youth Pipebands of Scotland's rendition will help in adding embellishments.

https://youtu.be/8rQqYW0xKqg

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
CorvPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #17
Harley G
Forum Member

Sorry, wrong Jack Lee.

Never knew of Mr Livingston until your post, his story is quite a good read.

An interesting man.