Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-22-2019, 01:33 AM   #21
petercl
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Balancing chanter

Thanks Murray and Nate. I Have just put a new easy Gilmour reed in the Kyo chanter and have balanced it. I tuned in high G, F and C with tape. May I say it is a pleasure to play. Thanks for the info on the chanter Murray. Yea Nate, but we are in the information/opinion age and with social media - the editor's suggestion ain't going to happen - ha, ha.
petercl is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 AM   #22
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes in a simple way you would put the reed at the height in the reed-seat where High A and Low A agree.

But it's often not as simple as that, as we all know.

It often comes down to "majority rule", or in other words what reed-height results in the least tape.

If balancing High A to Low A meant that the whole scale got progressively flatter as I went up, meaning putting tape the on all the low hand holes to match the flat high hand, I would sink the reed until the high hand and low hand were balanced, even though this resulted in a sharp High A. I'd rather have tape on High A than on the whole low hand.

Someone said "why tape Low A?" It's not ideal, but if Low A is the outlier, too sharp in an otherwise balanced chanter, I would.

And obviously in a Pipe Band, or when playing with Pipe Organ or orchestra, yes you have to start with a number dictated by the outside world and do whatever is necessary to get your chanter to peg at that number (be it 466 or 480 or what have you).
Old 03-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #23
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercl View Post
... we are in the information/opinion age and with social media - the editor's suggestion ain't going to happen - ha, ha.
Pity ... haha.

Sounds like you're making out well. Cheers to that.

Best,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #24
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

I haven't carefully read through all the responses so this might be a repeat but have you tried the Braw Tuning Ap? It's very helpful. There's a review about it in the Review Tab.....

I splurged and got it.....love it love it love it! It helps me to quicken the time spent tuning note for note and it helps train my ear.

Jenni
Old 09-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #25
WillyWog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Surely there is some reed depth where high A is an octave above low A and not too sharp?

A chanter tunes to itself by you moving the reed up and down until high A and low A are an octave apart. You don't get to pick the pitch that it tunes to. The chanter and reed combination will ultimately determine the pitch. You can use any reed you want. Some will work worse than others. Dare I say, some will work well.

Here's a video I made this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWmSQ_TRdlM
Hi Patrick
Well I'm fairly new to this piping stuff.. At 75 years of age its a real challenge especially trying to get the reed to blow.. Just not enough uummpp! to make a sound. I'm thinkin I need new LUNGS !! :-) :-) !!

Finally figured that out and now working on tuning like you do in the videio..

Well . I have to say 'THANK YOUR VERY VERY MUCH" for post that video.. Never new that is how I am suppose to tune the pipe.. Thanks again

IF iI was close to where you live I would get you a box of Canadian Beer...

thanks again

Willy

Last edited by WillyWog; 09-14-2019 at 06:11 PM.
WillyWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #26
WillyWog

So after tuning the chanter as you say in your video.

What about the other notes that are sharp or flat.. ??

Do I tune them to O on the tuner or leave them where they fall and play thing chanter that way. Or fiddle around get all the notes on "O".. ??

Thanks again
Willy

Last edited by WillyWog; 09-14-2019 at 06:11 PM.
WillyWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #27
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

WillyWog .....FYI....and as a matter of fact..the design spec of your McCallum MK 2 chanter is 474-476hz.( per McCallum)

Two bands I coach use about 30 of these chanters...consistently pitched at 475hz ..using Shepherd standard reeds ( not ridge cut).
Easy-Medium strength ( 26 - 30 h2o depending on the piper).
These usually set at ca 7/16 exposed binding..not more.
Generally the Gilmour reed, in my experience, tends to be a bit flatter reed than the Shepherd.
Pipers Hut In OH does a good job in bench checking reed h2o strength for me or students laying in reeds.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #28
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWog View Post
So after tuning the chanter as you say in your video.

What about the other notes that are sharp or flat.. ??

Do I tune them to O on the tuner or leave them where they fall and play thing chanter that way. Or fiddle around get all the notes on "O".. ??

Thanks again
Willy
You will want to fine tune the other notes, and hoping any that are out of tune are sharp so that you can easily apply electrical tape, or similar, to the top of the hole to flatten it just the right amount. No other notes will be tuned bang on center using a chromatic tuner like a Korg. The details are in this blog post, but you can just scroll to the bottom and look at the image created by forum member bob864, or similar.

https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/?page_id=2420

If you have an app that does bagpipe specific tuning, it does all the leg work for you and will have you tune the notes bang on center.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #29
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Patrick has many insightful tutorials on tuning, as also has the “ear” to support his suggestions.

There is a stigma about taping low A on principle alone.

I will paraphrase a common sense sentiment Jim McGillivray stated years ago along the lines “ I’ll do whatever it takes to make the instrument as well tuned and pleasing sounding as possible.” (Pipes Up video)

I almost always tape low A. I get incredible compliments from other pipers on how my chanter sounds.... until they see my low A taped a sliver and then proceed to announce the dogma of never taping low A. Oh well....

I just finished breaking in the reed in my nail chanter and pulled of the tape on low A. The reed is crisp, stable and the chanter is well balance with no tape on the octave notes (A or A’) and was more than happy to do so. I prefer NO tape wherever possible and use it when needed.

Sometimes a reed is just not good for a certain chanter. This happens but it takes time to determine that and comes more quickly with experience.

Patrick helps me recently with some issues one of my Kyo chanter (problem on my end, not the quality of Murray’s chanter- my 2 primary chanters are Kyo chanters) and we discussed how to balance it without sacrificing tone. In the end, He helps me balance out and rectify a sticking point I had.... and I taped low A.

Here is my point- we, as musicians, if our desire is the best sound possible, we should be goal oriented and have our focus on what will produce the best sound. Now, too much tape, or tape/reed seat position etc... can inhibit the best sound of course.

But not taping low A for the sake of not taping low A...? That’s not my focus.

YMMV

Last edited by David Murry; 09-15-2019 at 08:17 AM.
David Murry is offline   Reply With Quote