Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
rhuntley
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Tuning pin on bass drone repair

Was attempting to tune my bass drone the other day (I usually turn while pushing up/down), and the metal tuning pin on the lower part of the drone started turning with the upper part. I pulled the drone apart to see if I could fix it. I see that it used to be glued together, but in not sure what kind of glue to use to get this thing back together.
Could someone walk me through the assembly process?
thanks
rhuntley is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Tucker Fleming
Forum Member

Default Re: Tuning pin on bass drone repair

I found this:

01-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I have a set of GHP and the stainless steel engraved slide are loose on the tuning pins. What do I use for glue?
TwitchyFingers
01-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Super Glue, Gorilla Glue and J.B. Weld will all work. Be careful with Gorilla Glue as it tends to expand and flow out the seams. Be at the ready to carefully trim any excess flow with a craft knife before it fully hardens.
Another one I've found to bond plastic and metal to blackwood is TiteBond carpenter's glue. I recently tried to pull some resin fittings from a scrap practice chanter I'd made a few years ago. Not coming off for love nor money.
Randy McIntosh
01-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Try either silicon caulking or hot melt glue.
DragonLair
01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't use any sort of strong adhesive on the tuning pin slides. The tuning pin slide doesn't do any work, it's just decorative. A few wraps of yellow hemp soaked with either white glue, or yellow carpenter's wood glue will snug it up just fine... And if you even need to remove the slides at a later date, a wee bit of elbow grease will un-snug it without breaking off the tuning pin.

Cheers,
Andrew
Wulls
01-16-2013, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't use any sort of strong adhesive on the tuning pin slides. The tuning pin slide doesn't do any work, it's just decorative.

OK....... try Breaking a tuning pin......Easy
Now try breaking a tuning pin with a metal sleeve properly glued to it.
I have repaired dozens of tuning pins over the years, only one had a silver sleeve. I recon that is pretty conclusive........
As for glue.....
there are only three types of glue I recommend.....
1/ Gorilla.
2/ Gorilla.
3/ Gorilla.
Do a search on the forum for glue.....The sheer amount is a mornings reading.
SteveW
01-16-2013, 07:39 AM
I have a hypothesis that slides, ring caps, etc become unglued because the metal and wood expands\contracts at different rates.
A few years ago I reglued a few loose pieces only in one spot with a dab of 5 minute epoxy. I haven't had to reglue since.
Allan Gray
01-16-2013, 02:02 PM
JB Weld or 5 minute epoxy get my vote. Just be sure to clean off any excess before it dries. It would also be good roughen up, or "tooth" the inside surface of the slides with some heavy grit sandpaper rolled into a tube shape. This will help the mechanical bond between the wood and metal.
Tucker Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:34 AM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

So it's just the tube of metal that's loose and can spin around on the wood tuning pin?

There's no harm being that way, but it's annoying when you try to polish the metal.

When I got my old Lawries most of the slides were like that, so I slid them up, put some glue under them, and slid them back. They've been stable ever since. I don't remember what sort of glue, it might have been Elmer's, or Superglue.

BTW there's an instrument maker I know who does some restoration work and his philosophy is to respect the original maker, and also future restorers, by making sure that any work/repair/restoration he does is reversible. So, he uses Superglue, which he says can be completely removed later.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
oldsoldier
Forum Gold Medal

I had issues with a couple of nickel ferrules coming unglued. I used elmers wood glue. They are still fine, a year later. Granted, there is no torquing stress on them, but, I was more concerned about the wood than the ferrules. I would guess wood glue would work too, on the metal pins? You may have to hold the pin when tuning, if the glue doesnt hold-but, at least, it wont hurt the wood.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Use a dab of silicone caulking
Old 02-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
Use a dab of silicone caulking
yes. I've always used Elmer's Stix All silicon adhesive to snug up loose metal. A small tube is about $4 at an Ace Hardwrae store.
If it will fit, I smear a length of black hemp with the Stix All for under the metal.
It's quasi -permanent after 24 hrs cure... and moves with the wood/metal..but can be manhandled off without a lot of effort if needed for some future reason. And it can all be cleaned away easily from the wood.
It's also good to cure any air leak from under a cap ferrule or bush.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote