Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-22-2015, 04:52 AM   #1
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Oil on chanter reeds

I think this is a question I've never seen.

I was cleaning the tape residue off my chanter with olive oil, and accidentially got some on my reed. Have I messed it up? Basically I had a little oil residue on my fingers and put the reed in, so I got a smidge on the sound box. I could instantly see that the wood took on the oil. It seems to sound OK for now.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:12 AM   #2
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Oil on chanter reeds

I've been taught to get some oil off my face (like you would to help your birls) and rub that on the reed before I put it away for the day. I don't know if it has actually helped anything but it certainly hasn't hurt anything either.
Josh Whitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:16 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
I think this is a question I've never seen.

I was cleaning the tape residue off my chanter with olive oil, and accidentially got some on my reed. Have I messed it up? Basically I had a little oil residue on my fingers and put the reed in, so I got a smidge on the sound box. I could instantly see that the wood took on the oil. It seems to sound OK for now.
I think there might be a bigger presence from the chanter if a bit of parmesean is ingested b4 playing the gig.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

While tinkering, I often tweak reeds without a good finger-wash and the resulting residue hasn't seemed to destroy the reed. I would assume oil would fill the grain as water does, but not dry out. it would also not allow even saturation of the reed, which may be problematic. I would be curious to know if the tips were oiled whether the reed permanently lost tone. I should be more careful (and cleaner).
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Oil and oily dirt grime from fingers is its own thing, and I scrub that off with a wee brush and H2o2.

A light coat of oil on purpose.. hmmm I might try that as a way of keeping reeds moist in the High Wasteland Desert. I dunno, it could work... providing oily moisture acts like moisture??
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Tucker Fleming
Forum Member

I can see it now, special 'Highland' reed oil, only $35 an ounce.
Tucker Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Doug Murray
Forum Regular

Highland reed oil comes in a variety of flavors; orange, lemon, lime; 37 flavors for the discriminating piper, like ice cream; mint, grape, strawberry, chocolate................. Step right up.................Argh!
Doug Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
CLOWERPOWER!!!
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I saw this topic in a thread about storing chanter reeds, and whether or not to wet/ lick them before playing. One person mentioned the idea of putting a small amount of bore oil on the tip of a reed to extend it's lifespan. As I remember he got chewed up rather badly by the rest of the thread for saying that......

Oil on a reed would only hold in more moisture, causing the reed to rot more quickly, right?

The chanter reed is the smallest and most absorbent component on your bagpipe. It can easily take on enough moisture to sound good in 20 minutes of playing, the same amount of time it takes to get your fingers warmed up to. I really wouldn't think it's necessary to put so much effort into constant moisture maintenance of a material that fluctuates so, so easily. With drones it's a different story. But for that reason why would oiling a reed or using a piper's pal be necessary?

Last edited by CLOWERPOWER!!!; 06-23-2015 at 05:38 PM.
CLOWERPOWER!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #9
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Years back, when I was living the Negev desert, I did use a tiny drop of almond oil on my chanter reed. It did mellow the harsh and very loud reed.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:55 AM   #10
Adam Sanderson

Some people have been deliberately putting oil on chanter reeds and more specifically cane drone reeds for decades.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote