Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-18-2016, 03:08 AM   #1
Rab Ha
Forum Regular

Default Italian anthem - can it be done?

Has anyone heard this played on the pipes? It seems like two anthems in one and covers quite a range of notes.

I have a trip planned later in the summer and it would be nice to have this up my sleeve.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
codart
Forum Regular

Default Re: Italian anthem - can it be done?

Hi

yes it works - my previous band do some trips to Italy and this was part of our repertoire...
codart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Rab Ha
Forum Regular

Thanks Codart.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:31 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have the sheet music (the real sheet music, not a bagpipe version) in front of me.

You're talking Inno di Mameli, right?

I have it in a book I picked up a few years ago, National Anthems From Around The World, which has proved to be very useful, when people request these things.

Anyhow the tune is completely GHB-friendly until bar 22 where there's a note which would be Low G#, you could easily substitute B (on the syllable "vit" in the phrase "Dov'e la vito".

In bar 26 there's a single Low A#.

Bars 28 and 30 have what would be Low F#'s, you can just play those an octave up, the ordinary piper's "F" (F#).

Bar 33, the penultimate bar, has three High B's in a row, for which I would play an octave low, the pipe's ordinary B.

All in all this tune is far more pipe-friendly that most anthems! 99% on the notes fit right on the scale, you just need the few substitutions mentioned.

BTW the book has the tune in the key of G Major, to fit the pipes you just move every note up a 5th, into the key of D Major:
D > Low A
E > B
F# > C#
G > D
A > E
B > F#
C > High G
d > High A

BTW in the USA the song is Public Domain due to being published in 1847.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-22-2016 at 04:36 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
Rab Ha
Forum Regular

Many thanks for such a detailed response, Pancelticpiper. Yes that's the same tune.

Half way through it seems to shoot off in a different direction, almost a different tune. I might try to get away with playing just the first section.

May I ask, what does your book give as the Sicily anthem? There appears to be two: suoni la tromba and matriterra.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

The trick with pipe adaptations is whether or not the tune is very widely sung by the population. If so, the notes are anticipated, expected even. Even attractively fudged notes can sound off to the informed ear. To the musically minded, a note played an octave up or down is just as funky as a wrong note--no mattet musically correct. Run it by an Italian first. Maybe.

Last edited by David; 06-22-2016 at 08:54 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:35 AM   #7
Rab Ha
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The trick with pipe adaptations is whether or not the tune is very widely sung by the population. If so, the notes are anticipated, expected even. Even attractively fudged notes can sound off to the informed ear. To the musically minded, a note played an octave up or down is just as funky as a wrong note--no mattet musically correct. Run it by an Italian first. Maybe.
Coincidentally, I'm playing a wedding in two weeks time where one side is Italian. I'll use that opportunity to test things out.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #8
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I see what you mean by shooting off in a different direction halfway through!

After the first 16 bar section the tune modulates.

Yes you can just play the first 16 bars below... it will serve, I think.

It fits perfectly on the chanter save for one Low F which has to be played up an octave, in boldface below.

All note substitutions are in boldface. I've not indicated timing, but I put in the barlines /

la / la b la f / f hg f f / ha hg f e / f e d la /

/ la b la f / f hg f f / ha hg f e / f e d f /

/ f c d e / d c b d / c d e f / f hg la /

/ la b la f / f hg f f / ha hg f ha e ha / d /

For the last 16 bars you'll need to be capable of fingering C natural (cnat) on the chanter, for example the first note of the second bar. The last note of that bar is the pipes' ordinary c.

Finger Cnat like this:

x xxx xoxo

It works on most chanters, my McCallums for example. It wont' work on my G1 chanter though.

Pay careful attention to the C's, as you see half are C natural and half are the pipes' ordinary C.

/ b b b la / cnat b d d d c / e d d d e f / hg b cnat e d b /

/ cnat la la la la b / b la cnat cnat cnat b / d cnat ha ha hg / f f e d d cnat /

/ b b b b c / c b b b la lg / la f b b b c / c b b b la lg / f b b b la /

/ cnat b d d c d / f e e e f hg la / b b b ha ha ha / hg hg //

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-23-2016 at 05:33 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
Rab Ha
Forum Regular

Brilliant. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Since I woke up too early to make any noise around the house, I transcribed the score from a couple different sources into ABC notation and transposed it to D major. Seems to work pretty well. The second part has some weird timings.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote