Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Default Synth bass reed suggestion

Hey. Can anyone recommend a synthetic bass reed that would blend well with Selbie tenors (Kintail drones)? I currently play a cane bass and like that sound, but would love something that stays in tune better. Also it would be nice to buy just the bass reed and not have to get a whole set of reeds.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Chris Knife
Forum Regular

Default Re: Synth bass reed suggestion

I've not played Kintails and I've not played Selbie's in more than a decade, but I've found that Kinnaird Base reeds work excellent. I've used the similar make of reeds to set up multiple of different sets of pipes with success and satisfaction (Kinnaird base and Ezee tenors).

They can be purchased individually.

YMMV, but works for me.

Regardless, all the best in your search and pipering--the hunt is just as fun as the playing for me.

Chris
Old 01-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

My go to are X-TREME bass (regular, not premium) and original Kinnairds.

I have not played a Kintail pipe.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I’d second the.X--treme bass..albeit I use the premium. Also... virtually identical imo,.. the MG Carbon. I’ve been running MG White Mamba’s lately...also big reeds.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
AngusW
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I'd second the X-tremes.

I play Naills and used to run a Henderson deluxe Synthetic bass with Ezedrone tenors. Couldn't stop it buzzing. Switched to the Ezedrone standard base - nice but not enough volume for me. Swapped out the whole lot for X-tremes: love the result. Smooth yet vibrant sound, well-balanced.

Angus
AngusW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post
Hey. Can anyone recommend a synthetic bass reed that would blend well with Selbie tenors (Kintail drones)? I currently play a cane bass and like that sound, but would love something that stays in tune better. Also it would be nice to buy just the bass reed and not have to get a whole set of reeds.

What kind of bag setup do you have? A cane reed ought to be very stable.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
What kind of bag setup do you have? A cane reed ought to be very stable.

I had a L&M hide bag. Now going with a goatskin bag. I'm thinking maybe the cane reed I have isn't the best. I got it at a highland games and it was literally the only one they had. But it has sounded fine, just goes out of tune frequently.

I have gotten the Kinnaird original, which I haven't been able to try yet. Had a top piper recommend the Henderson Harmonic bass, so I'll probably get that as well as one of his cane bass reeds. If I'm not broke after all this I might order the X-Treme.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:37 AM   #8
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

You can find some Kintail sets have a very narrow bore in the bottom section of the bass. They can therefore be quite fussy sometimes with bass reeds. Inverted Ezee works well, especially the absorbent variety. Canning Polycarbonate and inverted MG carbon also go well. Henderson Harmonic will usually tune very low and Kinnaird standard can be very sensitive in them to blowing variation and often have that horrible tuning spot where you get 99% in tune and then just before locking in it turns into a completely different pitch.

Last edited by PMT; 02-07-2019 at 01:39 AM.
PMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMT View Post
Kinnaird standard can be very sensitive in them to blowing variation and often have that horrible tuning spot where you get 99% in tune and then just before locking in it turns into a completely different pitch.

I'm glad to hear someone else mention this issue! My tenors would do that with Ezeedrone reeds. Tried two different sets. I'd get the drone almost in tune and then it would change pitch. Thought I was just crazy or doing something wrong. Tried Selbie reeds - no problems.

When you say "Henderson Harmonic will usually tune very low" I assume you mean low on the pin? That actually wouldn't be too bad since I usually have to put a ton of hemp on the end of reeds to get my bass to tune where I want. Maybe my Kintails are like their owner - just different.