Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Bass drum head materials...

Bespeaking BDF is mostly for Pipers.....No bites on my belo thread posted in the ‘Drum’...section...

So....

A rousing slippering of the drum by the BD in this video

https://youtu.be/k4gBykQylm4

Any ideas what ( if) different drum head material or dampening would give this somewhat old style flat sound facilitated by hard mallets. Reminiscent of a fife and drum band sound....maybe it’s that simple an answer though,to me, quite a departure by the RHRBW for a pipe band. Sounds ‘good’ though as a change up.
Sort of unorthodox beating protocol employed too....wondered if HRH had to authorize that via Inchdrewer House.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Tucker Fleming
Forum Member

Default Re: Bass drum head materials...

Really enjoyable vid!
Reminds me of Marine Corp Band BD sound, like a small caliber cannon being fired every time he hits the drum. All he needs is a wooden mallet. A no nonsense style of drumming, very authoritive. I like the alternate left and right pounding too!
Tucker Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker Fleming

I like the alternate left and right pounding too!

That's because his arm... right or left... is
getting... very... very... tired... :)

Old 03-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Probably not Kevlar. Some of the head manufacturers use different densities of Mylar for drum and banjo heads. There's a style of banjo head called "renaissance" which is not as "pingy" as the usual Remo Weather King- perhaps there's a bass drum equivalent.
Back when I was a High School Band Director a lifetime ago, Remo WeatherKing was the most common head. A lot of us used to put a strip of cloth about a foot wide across the diameter of teh drum to tone it down a bit.

It won't quite sound like the old hide heads, but may help get to what you're looking for.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yeah. Irene ber those WeatheKing heads from my drum days.made a bit n
Mottled to look like goatskin sort of
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

I wish more bass drummers would play this way on parade..so many are playing competition style, airbrushing the drum head as if they are afraid to hit the damn thing..now, that's a Pipe band...The Black Watch..9 Pipers sounding like a brigade..starts and stops crack on..drummers playing with panache between sets...not that lazy street beat stuff that's so common..I see so many bands with members parading out of step here in the USA... bands take note...this is how to stay in step...what a shame that Regimental Pipe bands need a load of squaddies ahead of them fully armed with automatic weapons in order to parade in their own country..something is far amiss in the UK..forum regulations prevent me from spelling it out here but you get my drift why that's so..never thought I would see the day...bloody shame
Old 03-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
Tucker Fleming
Forum Member

The BD is keeping beat for the whole column...needs to be loud!
Tucker Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

It's not just the head, it's also the mallets. He's using "potato mashers" (i.e. hard mallets), not competition mallets. The head is definitely by Remo.

Last edited by rpeitzsch; 03-31-2019 at 03:54 PM.
rpeitzsch is offline   Reply With Quote